Homemade Livewell Timer

D

DJ

Has anyone ever made a homemade livewell timer? <br /><br />Let's say with Radio Shack parts?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Homemade Livewell Timer

Ok.. I've got my soldering iron out... Where do I start?... :D <br /><br />I'll bet Schematic, or better yet Derwood could tell us where to start...<br /><br />I'm off to Radio shack for some goodies...<br /><br />Seriously though, this is a great question... :confused:

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

DJ, did you forget about me ?

I have a timer already made, it connects to switch with 3 wires, Red + (from batt), Black -, Green to pump, it will go on for 1 minute then sut off for a minute.

Send me your address, I'll send it to you.

val@kvesurplus.com

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DJ

Valv,<br /><br />I'd NEVER forget about you! I check your site all of the time.<br /><br />I'll send you an e-mail.<br /><br />All,<br /><br />The timer is to cycle the pump to minimize battery drain yet keep the water fresh.<br /><br />I'd still like to know how to make one.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know much about electronics, but some timers are just a bi-metal switch that lets power go through, it warms up, metal bends due to thermal difference and interrupts current, then when it cools down it will let power go through again, and re-start cylcle.<br />I don't know where to find it, but surely an electronics parts place should know what to use.<br /><br />If using the type with metal, beware it might spark when opens/closes contact, and being on a boat, it might not be good.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

welcome to iboats, the only forum where you won't get flamed for resurrecting a 4-year-old thread!

:D

dannyboy7

Cadet

Looking for one that will work on two live wells. I would like to avoid using the old pig tail from the tack and go straight to the fuse box, is there are reason why Stratos didn't do that originally? Was it a safe guard against leaving it on? This site has great information!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why would you want to make one when you can buy one (adjustable) for about $35.00 and its water proof and simply replaces a manual switch. But if you insist on building one, a timer chip at Radio Shack is just a couple bucks. But then you need the associated resistors, capacitors, potentiometers, trim pots, circuit board, switch and a box to house it all. You end up with as much money in it as you would buying one that works.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree with SilverTip you can buy a quality Adjustable auto timer with a manual postion as cheap as you can make one. Unless you put many hours into it you could not make it as compact and water proof.

Yes you can make one with a timer chip or a RC circuit to trigger then you need to build a second timer for how long it stays on. For the price just not worth the time required to build one.

Nandy

Commander

This is a good thread, resurected twice!!! :D

walleyeguy57070

Recruit

this is for dannyboy, the timers can usually run 2 livewells it all depends on the current draw of each pump. just connect them in parallel, the limit of the timer is current rated. some timers have 5 amps some have 10 amps. typically your boat only has one intake port (where water gets sucked in from the lake around you) and there fore there is usually only one pump. the one pump provides water to 2 livewells. the average 500gph pump only draws 1.5 to 1.8 amps, and the average 700gph pump draws about 2.0 to 2.3 amps. so connecting two pumps together will still work assuming your boat even has 2 pumps. If your boat only has one pump, you can still run a 900gph pump and most 1100gph pumps and still stay below the 5 amp rating.

brucemillner

Recruit

Has anyone ever made a homemade livewell timer? <br /><br />Let's say with Radio Shack parts?

Yes ... I used a 555 CMOS timer chip and set the RC time constant for 1 minute off 2 minutes on. Because I was turning a livewell pump off and on, I used the output of the timer to open and close a relay that was wired inline with the pump circuit.