Lenco troll 'n tabs

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have this product on their boat or know of someone who uses them? Do you have an opinion about them?<br /><br />I want to put them on a 17.5' skiff (Scout Sportfisher) for sneaking around shallows and shore lines in the salt. I'n not too interested in the "trim" aspect, but the idea of twin screws opperated from anywhere on the boat sounds like just the ticket for hovering over some glory hole in a rip, turning within the length of the boat, or positioning the boat is just the right way for casting --or, I guess, for trolling too >G>.<br /><br />The little buggers are expensive and would require a hefty load of batteries (24 volts), so I would like an opinion before I sally forth with my check book. (It's been ravaged by the boat purchase already!)<br /><br />Thanks,<br />JohnK

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lenco troll 'n tabs

Perhaps I should have mentioned that this product is a set of ordinary trim-tabs, but with the addition of electric trolling motors on both port and starbord tabs.<br /><br /> When the tabs are in the 'down' position the propellers of the trolling motors move the boat. When the tabs are in the 'up' position the props are out of the water. To turn the boat, one either increases power to one, decreases power to one or puts one in reverse. The steering mechanism attaches to one's belt and can be operated from any place in the boat.<br /><br />JohnK

Basenjib123

Seaman

Hey John, I saw a guy with those at the dock this past summer. I asked him about them and he said..."they are nothing but trouble :mad: ". I didnt ask him for details 'cause he didnt seem like he wanted to talk about it. Just thought I would pass it on to you, Good luck...Joe.

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe, it's good to hear discouraging reports early. Do you remember what kind of boat it was? Did it look like the boat was riged for trolling?<br /><br />JohnK

Basenjib123

Seaman

No problem, I believe the boat was an 18' Capecraft. The boat was set up for fishing the flats on Cape Cod. My guess is that he used the electrics to move around in the shallows looking for the Striped Bass that visit the flats up here. Hope this helps, Good Luck...Joe.

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Joe,<br /><br />That just about how I want to use them, but perhaps not as continuously as on flats. I want to set up drifts and use power only intermittently to correct for wind/tide. Also the boats are comprable; so I'm wondering why he didn't like them. Was it that they were poorly made and gave trouble that way or perhaps he was expecting more hours and thrust out of his system? <br /><br /> Lenco says with two group 17 batteries hooked to produce 24 volts, one could run both st'bd and port motors for about three hours at full, and perhaps 5.5 hrs on half throtle. <br /><br />Can any of you other floridian, flats-fisherfolks provide any more information of this? Y'all must see them being used on the flats. I would very much appreciate more info.<br /><br />Best,<br />JohnK

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Hi JohnKee... Ya know, I've never seen or heard of anyone using them on a flats boat (or any other boat) around here... <br /><br /> I have heard a few negative comments about Lenco tab actuators though, mostly about them operating a little too fast for the tab adjustment making them difficult to control and adjust at speed... <br /><br />I run a single bow mount trolling motor (about 50lbs thrust) on my 15'6" flats boat and it does a great job in fast current and manuvering around especially in tight spots(like when I'm pulling my lures out of the tree limbs cause of a sloppy cast from a lousey fisherman)... :p I use mine much the same way you propose to... I usually go with the tidal currents and just use the motor for course correction...<br /><br />If I were in your situation, I would look at a high thrust bow mount trolling motor if for no other reason than steering control is immediate, where as with the two on the tabs in the back it would seem to me that steering control would be difficult... Maybe not, but thats how it looks to me...<br /><br /> Your still most likely looking at 24 volts for a motor with enough thrust you work in windy or fast current conditions...

JohnKee

Seaman Apprentice

BJB, I hear you about the bow mount. I think you're right, it would be much more responsive that anything on the transom. The only thing that's difficult about a bow mount is that it EATS fly-lines. That's the reason I thought about the dual transom mounts in the first place.<br /><br />If I don't get at least one "attaboy" for Lenco I think I will just bag it and reconsider a heavy bow-mount, as you suggest. ...and LEARN to avoid it with the cast. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />JohnK