Angler boats?

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm tired of spending too much time working on my old 1988 Sunbird. I'm looking to get a new boat. Price is an issue. I live on Long Island NY, and will be using it in the bay. I'm locked into a 17' boat because of the slip I have. I mainly fish with some cruising. I definately want a center console. Cost wise, i need to stay under 15k (Less than that is definately better!)

I've been looking at an Angler 173 CC boat. Upgrading the motor from a 50Hp to a 90Hp Yamaha.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've looked at Triumphs which give more bang for the buck, but i'm worried about all the talk of water stuck in the foam, and the boat getting heavier every year. Parkers are too expensive. I'm going to check into a Key West this week.

I just want a good reliable boat that cuts through choppy water well. I know thats asking alot from a 17' boat, but I'd like to maximize my purchase.

With the Angler i have an option of a 2 stroke or a 4. I've looked at the yamaha site but don't really see a clear difference. (Other than cost) Is there one other than noise, and adding oil all the time?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Angler boats?

for the best find an old boston whaler. the key west is a very good performing boat here in Florida. for a fishing boat the less bling, the better. good space, storage, wells, self bailing, and nothing you can't clean with bleach and a hose.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't be optimistic about any 17 footer in chop. As for brands, Cape Horn, Century, and Sea Hunt prices should also be under Parker.

Kelly Cook

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, i'll look into these boats.

Any thoughts on the new Mako boats? they are having what looks like a decent special on the 171.

thanks again!

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Mako would have more appeal to me than Angler. If the Mako price is well under Century and Key West, it could be a good value.

One area where there are differences between these designs is in how the livewells are setup at the transom. My preference is the way Sea Hunt does this. Of course we all have different preferences ....

Kelly

Old No 7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Kelly. Thats the way i was leaning too. The other boats you mentioned are either not sold here or cost too much. I called the Mako dealer and he is pressing for the next larger boat.

I started a new thread to see if anyone has one of these boats.

thanks for your help!

Mike

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

No dealers for either Angler or Mako here, so I can't help with detail comparisons.

Kelly