Bimini Top extension - forward

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

I've got an odd question. I've got a 20' bowrider, with a 8' long bimini. The manufacturer of the bimini kept warning me that the top was too big. In fact, I think that its too small...

Currently, I can rig it to come up to about the back edge of the windshield, but this leaves the front seats exposed to the sun. Neither my wife and I are sunbathing types. I like to fish from up there or just snooze. Sun protection is really important to us.

I'm looking for some way to extend the sun protection out to the bow, which is probably about 8 foot. It doesn't need to be able to stay up while moving (the bimini easily handles 35+ mph).

The only thing that I can think of is some sort of a half a dome (like from a tent) that anchors to the leading bow on the bimini, down to a post mounted in the bow area.

We've tried beach umbrella mounted up there, but they end up in the water if a little breeze comes up.

Any thoughts, ideas, or existing solutions?

Thanks in advance.

johnbo

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Bimini Top extension - forward

Google a "Taylor Anchor Shade". May work for ya.

grimpy

Seaman

the Mantis by Pro-Tech might be another option for you.

studlymandingo

Commander

anchor_shade_on_boatjpg_0.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i saw exactly what you are talking about. let me find it. i've searched and searched, can't find it. i was pricing bimini's. it's just like you said. attaches to the front of the bimini, and has a 3 point connection on the bow. when i saw it i thought this would be great for a family with kids, who like a little nap in the bow, while anchored.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've spent several hours looking for it.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

Google is your friend ;)
Didn't want to post a link to a competitor, but this comes straight from Yamaha...
mar-230bm-xt-bk-18-500.jpg

Do a search for Boat Bimini Extension, and you should find several.

The one in this photo is rather pricey (upwards of $300), but I'd bet a local canvas shop could whip one up for a lot less. It might mean modification of your current bimini, to get the extension to attach, but it's worth checking-out.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but I just bought something called Bimini Clips. You can find them at www.biminiclips.com. They are plastic clips that can be used to clamp a towel or two to your bimini braces. You won't be expanding your bimini area, but the hanging towels will help to form a sun enclosure. The clips are also a great way to dry wet towels while out on the water. Even if they are not what you looking for, the clips still may be a worth while extra to consider. Cheap too.

johnbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the ideas. I was hoping (still am) that Tashasdaddy could find that link. It sounds prefect. But, I'm not having much luck trying to find it either.

The bimini clips were interesting, I ordered a couple of sets to play with.

Thanks,

johnbo

Phil3915

Recruit

I'm in the same boat (rim shot)..... pontoon needs more shade. Existing bimini is just too short. Has anything new come along? I have searched all over but all I find are "toy" umbrellas and the nice Yamaha solution that requires modification of existing bimini (add zipper). I was hoping to find a pure "bolt on" of decent quality.
Phil H.
Berrien Springs, MI

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm in the same boat (rim shot)..... pontoon needs more shade. Existing bimini is just too short. Has anything new come along? I have searched all over but all I find are "toy" umbrellas and the nice Yamaha solution that requires modification of existing bimini (add zipper). I was hoping to find a pure "bolt on" of decent quality.
Phil H.
Berrien Springs, MI

You can buy full screened enclosures for pontoon boats. Friend of mine has a factory one that came with his big party barge. Solid full coverage top and zip on sides.

Generic type
http://www.dowcomarine.com/data/resources_pdfs/GenericScreenEncl.pdf

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I want to do the same thing to my Bow rider. Glad the OP started this thread. Looking for Solution. AZ doesn't get that much sun but still.