USCG buoy tenders

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know how many USCG buoy tenders are operating off the west coast?

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: USCG buoy tenders

I'd guess somewhere in the 50 to 75 range if you include all the small ATON boats. If you're just talking about cutters (Big, black, with red, white, and blue stripes) maybe 15 tops including AK. Why do you ask?

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Our buoy (46027) is out of order again and they re-scheduled the repair from March to May. Just curious.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Yeah, if that's one of the big ocean buoys, they're only certain tenders that can handle it. It also depends what's wrong with it. If all it needs are the electronics serviced, any of them can do it. If it needs an overhaul, then you need a tender with a crane.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The one off of Bodega Bay by about 12 miles (46013) is not maintained by the Coast Guard. NOAA maintains it.

I think they should give these BUOYs a higher priorty as they are best source for Wind speeds, Wave height, Wave direction, and Distance between the swells (period).

I listen to the coast guard weather forcast for expected changes but use the BUOY data for current conditions. It is the best source to plan your trip for the day or even whether your going to launch.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Can't say enough about checking the buoys. Thanks gentlemen.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

[whisper uid=37016]

Enter private whisper here

[/whisper]Hi Boatist; Have you ever fished out of Crescent City?
Kelley.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Crescent City, No we have not went that far north. Most of the time we camp at West side park 100 yards from the boat launch in Bodega Bay.

For Shark and Halibut usually fish out of San Francisco Bay on day trips.

One of my sisters has a house in Crescent City but never been up there, Just too far from Sacramento.