Used boat, no compass, which to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reelfishin

Captain
I just picked up a used boat for fishing, it's got GPS, but no compass, while the GPS is fine, if the power failed, I want the option.
Since I have never had to go out and buy one, (every boat I have had prior had always already had one), Which is the best one to buy. I prefer a permanent mount, and have a completely open dash with no gauges, and the top center is wide open.
I would most likely want to mount it dead center, but that would put it right between my GPS and Fish Finder. I was wondering if they may interfere with the reading too?

If so, what are my options, I have looked at a few in dash smaller units, but they are tiny and will still be close to in dash wiring and the steering. I was always told to keep electronics and metal away from the compass?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Used boat, no compass, which to buy?

There are cheap compasses and there are expensive compasses. All work when swung correctly.

I think the Ritchie Navigator is probably the best value. Follow the instructions to the letter when mounting.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Compass selection really depends on your mounting options. You should post a picture of your dash. and the area in front of your windshield.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Don't position the compass based on looks but on proximity to other electrical or large ferris things. Anything magnetic will induce errors into the compass heading.

reelfishin

Captain

Proximity to other items will be a big problem and I have no flat top surface. I also have to figure in space for the GPS and a newer fish finder which is a bit larger than what is in the pic. The radio may also get moved to under the dash.
There's not a lot of space to cut into the face of the dash, there's some dash supports and frame work and the steering box to deal with there. It would be nice if there was a flat top area, but that's not the case here. I would like to have the compass as large as possible and directly in front of me, but that won't happen either. While both the fish finder and GPS have a compass, I have always had one, thinking that it would come in handy if the power failed.
I may have to settle for just keeping a hand held? The GPS and FishFinder are my first priority, mosly the GPS. The GPS is about three times the width of the fish finder in the pic. I have an older Auqa meter 6' compass off of an older boat, but it looks like it will only mount flat, it was on top of the dash in my old boat before I rearranged the dash. I can't make use of the center area since it's the only way to get to the anchor and forward cleats. (The area in front of the windshield is only about 3 foot long, the dash is way forward in this boat).
Also, does anyone recognize that steering wheel? I'd like to find a center for it and use it in another boat, I have a new stainless wheel for this boat).

42x9gux.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Reelfishing, I put a good compass on my speedboat. It always pointed north, directly at the bow fuel tank. Don't try this methodd:)

Actually some compasses seem to be plane sensitive. That is when you hold them above the dask they read fine. When you hold them below the dash, they pick up metal and electric wiring, in the boat. I therefore recommend a binnicle mount, and trial. Now the interestign thing is that compasses read accurately in some directions, and inaccurately in other directions. You will need to use the GPS to set a course and use the compensators to adjust the compass as best as you can.8)

studlymandingo

Commander

"It always pointed north, directly at the bow fuel tank."

I don't see where this would be a problem as long as you were always headed north...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Compass is personal prefrence mostly. Even cheap small compasses work very well.
I pefer a 6 inch flat card that is read off the back side of the card.
For me just makes it eaiser and more logical which way to turn the wheel.
In general the size of the compass should kinda match the size of your boat.
In general bigger compasses spin slower and small one spin faster.
My boat is 21 feet and I have 5 inch flat card compass.
My 14 foot Aluminum boat I have a 3 inch dome compass but seem like have to turn the oppsite way to get back on course.
Compass should be directly in front of the driver so you never look at it at and angle.

reelfishin

Captain

I also like the flat card style that's read off the back and that it should be mounted directly in front, but I may have a problem with that with this layout. I wish that my dash was flat across the top not raised and tapered.
The fish finder will most likely go to the other side, and the GPS will be where the fish finder is, and then I can rethink the compass. I have a few used ones but none will take the angle mounting here.
My concerns as far as where to mount it are how much might the GPS and steering gear interfere with it. If I move the fish finder to the other side, the radio will have to go under the dash, which may also become a problem.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

My compass is mounted Just forward of my Fish finder and Loran C.
I actually look stright ahead and between the two units to see the compass.
VHF radio is under the dash. None ot these units affect My compass.
However it is also about 6 inches from my windsheild wiper motor.
With the wiper on the compass changes about 30 degrees.
When I swung the compass most of the adjustment was due to the wiper motor.
Dash lights and all the guages make no difference on my boat.
With the wiper off compass is very accurate verified with my GPS.
Also ran a magnetic North / South course between two buoys identified on a local chart.
Ran both directions at slack tide on a no wind day.
Compass is more accurate than my steering ability.

Many mounts would work on you dash or you could buy a block of teak wood and make your own.

Expensive option would be to buy a flux gate compass and mount on the center line of the boat
then put the display read out where ever you want it.

reelfishin

Captain

I strongly prefer that it is mounted dead ahead. I won't have any room to mount it past or between the GPS and and FishFinder, they nearly touch and are only about 1/2" from the glass. I think my best option is a bracket mount just below on the facing panel above the steering sitting just lower than the FishFinder and GPS units. Hopefully I won't have any interferance problems. The wiper motor will also be a concern but it's mounted low on this boat and sits about 18 inches away from the dash face.
I may also move that fuel gage to the lower face too, it's just slapped in the center all by itself there. The same goes for any other switches. I'll probably use aircraft type switches in a row all well labeled and was also considering buying a radio that I can flush mount on the lower left of the steering collum in the face of the dash. If not, it's going underneath. I want to get it out of the sun and clear that side of the dash. I'll have some holes to fill when I'm all done. I have considered a Teak dash panel as well, but that's more to maintain. This is a fishing boat, and won't be used for much else besides maybe some crabbing here and there.

Any ideas what that steering wheel may have come off of?
I will most likely replace it when I replace the teleflex, i was curious what it may have come from. I think it would look good on my other boat which is older.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I would suggest in your case having a simple handheld trigger style compase for backup.

GPS failure ? then hand is the way to go. very accurate and no holes or wireing m8.

now..you have to have charts and know a little something on how to read them...no matter what..

yd

reelfishin

Captain

I have always had and relied on a compass and charts, but what I like about the GPS is that I can mark routes that I know are safe as far as depth and any underwater hazards. It if nothing else saves time 'feeling' my way through shallow waters with the depth finder. I rarely go far, but have on occasion ventured out of site of land or at least home port. It's nice to know that no matter what happens there's not going to be any guess work. During the day, it's easy to see where your going, but at night or in heavy fog, its tough to tell where you are with no landmarks visable.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I got 2 on e-bay for $30.00 including shipping. One is an in dash mounting and the other is a on dash mounting. I have yet to mount them but will when the winter cover comes off this weekend. In dash one is used but in great shape, on dash is brand new. I will see how they shape up compared to the GPS.

gonagin

Cadet

Ahoy!

This might sound like a dumb question but I have a 17' galvanized metal boat with 2 cyl. engine that has a magneto ignition, would a compass work and where would I mount it?

raymondpickens

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try not to dig up old post. No harm done, just start a new one.;)

Oh almost forgot, Welcome to Iboats.

Status
Not open for further replies.