What size boat for ocean cruising?

greid

Recruit
I am newly in the market for a [power] cruising boat/yacht that is comfortable with extended ocean trips, like up and down the west coast. I live near the coast of northern california and would like a craft that could take my family and perhaps some friends up to British Columbia, or down to San Diego comfortably. I'm curious what the group thinks is the minimum size for such journeys, and/or what the next step up might be that could really go on the open ocean, say to Hawaii.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and views!

Glenn Reid
Woodside, CA

luckydog49

Cadet
Re: What size boat for ocean cruising?

Glenn, after going down the coast(Port Townsend to Southern California) the ideal boat is a Princess cruise line, or one like it. The west coast of the US is known to be one of the most treacherous bodies of water in the world, The ocean can be very unpredictable, many people claim 45feet or larger is required, many have made the trip in alot smaller boats, pick your weather, plan, know what your getting into, have a well found boat, and good luck. Roman

Bondo

Staff member

the ideal boat is a Princess cruise line, or one like it.

Ayuh,.........

I'd think something Over a couple of Hundred Ft. Might get Me to go along.........d:)

tommays

Admiral

Sad but true many big boats are not built to ABS or International Ocean standards :(

Tommays

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the pacific has sunk, BIG boats, and little boats. the bigger the better and several power plants. be knowlegeable of where, and the conditions, you are going. are you going to captain yourself.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yes. What Tom said.

I have taken 16' and 18' Boston Whalers to sea, Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini, but wouldn't consider any other boat that size for that cruise.

The design and build quality of a boat makes a lot more difference than size, once you get past a certain size, and the skill of the skipper/pilot comes second.

I haven't been offshore on the west coast, so I wouldn't venture to suggest a minimum size, and I am not sure that your definition of "cruising" would match mine.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I've thought about the answer to that question numerous times.

You have two issues. Personal safety, and personal amenities.

Obviously a properly designed ocean going craft is essential, the bigger the better.

But think about your day to day creature comforts for you and your guests on an extended cruise..........

Also, what will you all do with your time day in and day out while cruising? If you are within sight of land you can look at it; but he west coast of the USA look pretty much the same for the most part of it? The open ocean however is just that, day after day of looking at water, water, and more water.

I like the idea of letting someone else worry about all that and go on a commercial cruise ship and rent a cabin with a shower, and maid and laundry service.

My 2c

Mark

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

For extended blue water cruising you beter think sail and not the off shore day sailers either.

greid

Recruit

Wow, you are unanimous and persuasive. A commercial cruise ship never appealed to me but maybe there's something there after all! Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Glenn

Boatist

Rear Admiral

To go to Hawaii your only hope is a Sail boat or a full size ship as there are no gas stops along the way. Luckly people have made it with a good 25 foot ocean going sail boat, but very hard to predict the weather far enough in advance to be sure of a safe trip.

Power boats just can not carry enough fuel.

UP and down the coast some days a 16 foot open bow is all you need. Other days a 96 by 28 foot full closed deck with 3 CAT Deisels and lots of balest is not enough. This boat lowest deck was 12 feet above the water.
i have been on this exact boat while 3 waves went right over the deck and washed almost every thing over board.

tommays

Admiral

48-20.jpg

If you not in a hurry Krogens have up in the 4000 thousand mile range :)

Tommays

rottenray6402

Ensign

Many fishing boats (commercial fishing) make annual runs from Washington state to Alaska every spring going back in the fall. Most of these boats are in the 40 to 50' range. I personally know a man that bought a 34' Tolleycraft in Seattle and convoyed to Alaska with a group of other boats. He made it with no trouble but said he couldn't hear real good for a few days after listening to twin diesels for a week!
I have to agree with the other replies here about a cruise line being the best way to go!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I know of just the vessel for you. It is large and stable even in the heaviest of seas. It will reach Hawaii with ease with the fuel on board. Your every whim will be catered for as it has a large crew to serve you. On the downside - it cannot venture into shallow water. It requires considerable space to anchor. Here is a photo:

http://www.reagan.navy.mil/

Oh I almost forgot it has extensive defensive and offensive capabilities should you enter water frequented by pirates or other undesirables.

puddle jumper

Captain

The biggest boat you can buy.
As boatist said some days all you need is a small boat and on bad days even the most sea worthy capitains get scared in there 70 footers.Opean water is not something to take lightly.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Kelly Cook is right. There are a lot of Art Defever and Edwin Monk trawlers on the west coast for good reason; a lot of Grand Banks too. Single screw displacement hulls were very popular for their range as tommays has shown. Down here (LA) we can get away with sexier, planing hull boats if we stay inside the Channel Islands. I have been 100 miles out in a semi-displacement, Monk design, 35' Roughwater, and felt very safe, but that was south of San Diego and is generally more predictable than north.

You only need to see this pic once to be reminded of the hazards we can encounter:

Mojo3.jpg

"George C. Scott's chartered 70' boat "Mojo" is struck by a huge wave on January 28, 1978 just off Morro Bay, CA. The boat was severely damaged, but Scott and his 'skipper' wife survived to tell the story. MOJO was built in 1969 and has hosted many of Hollywood's biggest names and three US Presidents."

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you want to hop from port to port up and down the coast in fair weather, with a float plan and predetermined destinations, a 28' cruiser will do.

Otherwise, look at boats like this:

Ph2005-08-1800057s.jpg

OOPS! I mean like this:
DSCF0279s.jpg

Many of these babies make the cruise from Bahamas to New York and back every year.

tommays

Admiral

SMALL1P9041783.JPG

i say you gotta go with BAD GIRL her dinks are 24 ft :)

SMALLP9041790.JPG

BUT this was a prettty nice one also

Tommays

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Tommays, I always wondered what it would be like to work on one of those yachts.

Must be a real experience.