• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size boat for ocean cruising?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size boat for ocean cruising?

I am newly in the market for a [power] cruising boat/yacht that is comfortable with extended ocean trips, like up and down the west coast. I live near the coast of northern california and would like a craft that could take my family and perhaps some friends up to British Columbia, or down to San Diego comfortably. I'm curious what the group thinks is the minimum size for such journeys, and/or what the next step up might be that could really go on the open ocean, say to Hawaii.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and views!

Glenn Reid
    Woodside, CA

Re: What size boat for ocean cruising?

Glenn, after going down the coast(Port Townsend to Southern California) the ideal boat is a Princess cruise line, or one like it. The west coast of the US is known to be one of the most treacherous bodies of water in the world, The ocean can be very unpredictable, many people claim 45feet or larger is required, many have made the trip in alot smaller boats, pick your weather, plan, know what your getting into, have a well found boat, and good luck. Roman

Comment

the ideal boat is a Princess cruise line, or one like it.
      Ayuh,.........

I'd think something Over a couple of Hundred Ft. Might get Me to go along.........d
      Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

Sad but true many big boats are not built to ABS or International Ocean standards

Tommays
        If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
        http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
        1981 J24 Tangent 2930
        http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
        Tommays
        Northport Ny

Comment

the pacific has sunk, BIG boats, and little boats. the bigger the better and several power plants. be knowlegeable of where, and the conditions, you are going. are you going to captain yourself.
          FLORIDA GATORS
          TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
          That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Yes. What Tom said.

I have taken 16' and 18' Boston Whalers to sea, Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini, but wouldn't consider any other boat that size for that cruise.

The design and build quality of a boat makes a lot more difference than size, once you get past a certain size, and the skill of the skipper/pilot comes second.

I haven't been offshore on the west coast, so I wouldn't venture to suggest a minimum size, and I am not sure that your definition of "cruising" would match mine.

sigpic

Comment

I've thought about the answer to that question numerous times.

You have two issues. Personal safety, and personal amenities.

Obviously a properly designed ocean going craft is essential, the bigger the better.

But think about your day to day creature comforts for you and your guests on an extended cruise..........

Also, what will you all do with your time day in and day out while cruising? If you are within sight of land you can look at it; but he west coast of the USA look pretty much the same for the most part of it? The open ocean however is just that, day after day of looking at water, water, and more water.

I like the idea of letting someone else worry about all that and go on a commercial cruise ship and rent a cabin with a shower, and maid and laundry service.

My 2c

Mark
              If you are new to boating or have a new boat, a knowledgeable friend could show you how to operate your boat and save you a lot of grief, maybe some money, and maybe your life.

Comment

For extended blue water cruising you beter think sail and not the off shore day sailers either.

Comment

Wow, you are unanimous and persuasive. A commercial cruise ship never appealed to me but maybe there's something there after all! Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Glenn

Comment

To go to Hawaii your only hope is a Sail boat or a full size ship as there are no gas stops along the way. Luckly people have made it with a good 25 foot ocean going sail boat, but very hard to predict the weather far enough in advance to be sure of a safe trip.

Power boats just can not carry enough fuel.

UP and down the coast some days a 16 foot open bow is all you need. Other days a 96 by 28 foot full closed deck with 3 CAT Deisels and lots of balest is not enough. This boat lowest deck was 12 feet above the water.
                    i have been on this exact boat while 3 waves went right over the deck and washed almost every thing over board.
                    Have some fun and enjoy the Great Outdoors.
                    Love to fish out of Bodega Bay, California.

Comment

If you not in a hurry Krogens have up in the 4000 thousand mile range

Tommays
                      If a dirty bottom slows you down what do think it does to your BOAT

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever
                      http://cal29seafever.blogspot.com/
                      1981 J24 Tangent 2930
                      http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/s...%20for%20sale/
                      Tommays
                      Northport Ny

Comment

Many fishing boats (commercial fishing) make annual runs from Washington state to Alaska every spring going back in the fall. Most of these boats are in the 40 to 50' range. I personally know a man that bought a 34' Tolleycraft in Seattle and convoyed to Alaska with a group of other boats. He made it with no trouble but said he couldn't hear real good for a few days after listening to twin diesels for a week!
                        I have to agree with the other replies here about a cruise line being the best way to go!

Comment

Boats like this are popular on the West Coast -

http://www.horizonyachts.net/core/li..._boats=1252853

But forget the hop to Hawaii !

Kelly Cook

Comment

I know of just the vessel for you. It is large and stable even in the heaviest of seas. It will reach Hawaii with ease with the fuel on board. Your every whim will be catered for as it has a large crew to serve you. On the downside - it cannot venture into shallow water. It requires considerable space to anchor. Here is a photo:

http://www.reagan.navy.mil/

Oh I almost forgot it has extensive defensive and offensive capabilities should you enter water frequented by pirates or other undesirables.

Comment

The biggest boat you can buy.
                              As boatist said some days all you need is a small boat and on bad days even the most sea worthy capitains get scared in there 70 footers.Opean water is not something to take lightly.
                              Canada more square miles of awesomeness per person than any other country on earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X