Pontoon Enclosure

RDinventor

Recruit
Occasionally people comment on canvas enclosures. It sounds like it's difficult to get an enclosure for pontoon boats unless it is purchased with a new boat. Then there is the set up and take down because they apparently are not towable. Why isn't there a desire for a real add-on cabin enclosure that can be left on all the time for people and interior protection/comfort in all climates? Pontoon boats can have almost as much comfort as small houseboats with a fraction of the cost. The weight penalty would be about two people. Would anyone want that? Is there such a thing now?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Pontoon Enclosure

I think a lot of it is how the boat is used. Pontoon boats tend to be fair weather boats used for group or family activities. Usually pontoons don't fair well in rough water, and usually families don't want to go out for fun on the water when it is pouring rain or freezing (there are exceptions of course). In my neck of the woods you don't see pontoons unless it is between labor day and memorial day, and you don't see them when the water is too rough.

I think the market is too limited, personally...

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Mostly they are not widely available because each brand boat is different and one size would not fit all. That's why they are best ordered when buying a new boat. There are aftermarket set-ups, but most do not fair well with owners...

RDinventor

Recruit

Pontoon boats are presumed to be fair weather boats because they are, just like all open boats. They don't have to be. Outboards are already all weather engines. Perhaps a cabin pontoon can double comfortable annual usage. Your point is well taken about high winds, storms etc.

Actually one design can fit many pontoon boats. It depends how many "do it yourself" persons would build their own from plans or a kit to fit the dimensions they have. Or get someone else to build it for them. A family project perhaps. It could be done with ordinary tools and material costs would be less than purchasing a canvas enclosure. Maybe I will do it and send pictures.
RD

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Many toon makers offer such camper editions, few buy them. Most want it just for a day on the water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

By adding an enclosure, increase dramatically the wind resistance as well as the susceptability to wind so there two factors that need to be considered. If you have enough power, going against the wind will slow you down and stress the cabin material but you will make headway. Too little power and a strong wind will move you around like a cork. I and others make their own boat covers so there is no reason you can't make an enclosure for your toon. Plan on your first attempt resulting in some mistakes as you will need to learn to sew and how to make a strong seam. In the world of stitchery there is a saying that goes like this: "As I sew, so must I rip".

RDinventor

Recruit

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. My idea is an all aluminum structure with lots of polycarbonate window area that is highway towable. No canvas. The design challenge is to keep it light and be able to open windows and doors in the summer. A small 10 foot cabin could be 150 pounds. A long 20 foot cabin could be 300 pounds. A width of 8 feet or 8 1/2 feet would not make any difference in weight or cost. The unit could be removeable similar to a pickup topper.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Now you're talking about a different class of boat. An enclosed cabin must meet conditions that open boats can totally ignore. Different animal altogether. There's a difference between a houseboat and a pontoon boat, even though each may use pontoons for floating. Google Houseboat instead of Pontoon Boat.

Mr. Lowe

Recruit

I have a 28 foot Party Barge Pontoon and am looking for a lightweight aluminum full enclosure with hatch back and side door openings. I saw plans posted sometime back that were similar to this but now I cannot seem to locate them. I am not interested in any of the canvas type enclosures as I have had little luck with their longevity. I need something that I can start fresh on the inside of my boat and make the inside more like that of a houseboat. It must keep everything inside dry, clean and comfortable. Anyone out there know where I might find a top like this or the plans to build one?

All info is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mr. Lowe

Bondo

Staff member

February 7th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Mr. Lowe...
Please start a New thread of your Own...
Hy-jacking this 1 is of little good to you, the topic is barely similar...
And,...
Hy-jacking old threads is in Bad taste,+ frowned upon on most forums,.. Especially here at iboats...

Jeep Man

Commander

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. My idea is an all aluminum structure with lots of polycarbonate window area that is highway towable. No canvas. The design challenge is to keep it light and be able to open windows and doors in the summer. A small 10 foot cabin could be 150 pounds. A long 20 foot cabin could be 300 pounds. A width of 8 feet or 8 1/2 feet would not make any difference in weight or cost. The unit could be removeable similar to a pickup topper.

There was a post on here about a year ago concerning this. A member built one and had the plans available for other members. He posted photos and it looked REALLY good. It was also structurely sound enough to tow at highway speed. You may be able to find it with the "search" feature.