14 ft Lowe jon boat

Jonboatjitters

Recruit
I recently inherited a 14ft Lowe jon boat (with a pair of oars...). I've never run a jon boat (flat front) before - what size engine would best fit this unit -it's rated for a 15hp but that seems like a lot. I generally be portaging in this boat to smaller lakes.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 14 ft Lowe jon boat

If you will be carrying it in the little 9.8hp Merc110 would make a great motor, nice and light but plenty of power to scoot you around. You'd be good for under 10hp limited lakes too. Empty I'd guess you would be able to make 20-25 mph with that combo.

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Although that seems like alot of HP, if it is rated for it, it is most likely safe.
The HP you should use is dependent on how much stuff and how many people will typically be in the boat. If it is generally just you and some gear then an 8-10 horse engine will probably serve you will. If you transport alot of gear then you might want to consider going up to the top rated HP.
Good luck.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

This year we picked up a Lowe 1457- the light 14' V.

We do alot of portaging, car top and also have a small trailer for when there is the rare launch.

I was looking at new 8-15hp outboards. I was leaning toward the 8 because of the weight difference. Hoisting it in and out of the transport vehicle and then mounting/unmounting every trip makes johnny a sad boy. As luck would have it, a friend had an 8hp 2 stroke he wasn't using and gave it to me. It's lightweight and pushed the boat plenty fast with me and my wife and all of our gear (which is considerable). Granted, this is a V and yours is a jon but I had doubts about it's ability to move it and its no problem.

Also, when I go alone, the boat isn't pointing at the sky without me putting ballast in the front.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Most two strokes 9.9 and 15's weigh the same. I put my Evinrude 15 on my 13.5 foot aluminum and which I also use on my 12 foot fiberglass. That's one sweet running motor. Trolls smooth down to hardly a pulse and moves the boat real nice even with three big adults.

It carries fairly well at around 74lbs.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

True, but there's a 19 lb weight difference between the 8 and 9.9hp yammie for example. The 8 is 60lb and the 9.9 is 79lb. Doesn't sound like much but when you're taking it on/off every trip, it can be significant. I have some launches where I actually have to walk the length of the boat carrying the motor and then slide it onto the transom. PITA.

dave524

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might sound odd, but depending on how big your lakes are, you might want to consider a electric trolling motor. You can get a 50lb thrust transome mount that will push you along quite nice. Very light, and a battery is alot easier to pick up than a motor. Just a thought. Have fun !!!

Bass-A-Holic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 15 hp rudie on a 14 ft v, and that will push me 25mph with a loaded boat, a 10 or 15 would both push you along pretty good and they are the same weight, so i would go with the one that you can get the best deal on.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

And, bass-a-holics boat is a vee. It takes a little more power to propel one of those. A 6 - 10 would be perfect. I wouldn't go for a 15 because around here there are a bunch of 10 horse max lakes.

Jonboatjitters

Recruit

thanks for all the input - I'm definately gonna go bigger than a 6hp which was my original thought

AJ168

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a good idea because I have an old Johnny 5.5 on a 12 ft. Starcraft Jon. It only planes out if I'm alone with next to no weight and I have to move the fuel tank up and move as far forward as I possibly can to get it to stay up.