Any Way to Title an Abandoned Boat in Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Any Way to Title an Abandoned Boat in Texas?

i'm curious what that web sight is i have a 12 ft aluminum delhi it shows regesterd but never titled,last taged in 1989 , uncle bought it from a garage sale for 20 bucks did some glasswork to repair it ( he used it in a private pond )then recently gave it to me and i want to get tags so i can use it with a motor,
ne ideals ? tpwd is givin me a run around​

If you'll look at the date of Texasmark's post about his situation it was in 2006. The law has changed in Texas since then and TPWD is much more stringent about non-titled boats. I understand your position about being given the run around, but the changes came out of necessity caused by people that did things illegally or dishonestly in the past. It makes situations like yours tougher.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Indeed...you may be toast unless you have a friend/relative in a non-titling state that you can sell it to, then pay for registration there, then have your friend/relative sell it back to you...all so TPWD will recognize it as out-of-state boat needing a title. That's simpler than trying to register an abandoned boat. The other half of the reason for all this current rigamaroll surrounding titles in Tejas is an agency jacking all its fees to maximize income and pass more laws requiring enforcment and, surprise!, more fees and personnel. We need a new Guv, but that's hard to do when only 30% of registered voters turn out for elections...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

redeye1962

Petty Officer 1st Class

I must say I was fortunate to get the title. I had to talk to a manager.......someone who could think. You may want to try that. If the boat has not been titled in a long time they understand.

62larkowner

Seaman

actualy had some one tel me just toss the numbers , tell 'em found it on grandpas property with transom rotten and redo it then see bout gettin new hin n stuff

Jeep Man

Commander

Why do people resurrect old threads? This one has been dug up a few times since 2006.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Why do people resurrect old threads? This one has been dug up a few times since 2006.
Because this is a problem that comes up quite a bit and perhaps the laws have changed since then............my 2 cents

62larkowner

Seaman

cuz people refer others two them becaus ethey already have answers in 'em

LizGolden

Recruit

I live in Huntsville Tx and recieved a boat from my dad who was given to him by a friend who bought it from a friend and now the original "friend" who holds the title cant be found. How do I go about getting a new title for it.

super1

Recruit

looks like I am about to pursue this no title journey. I will post the process as it unfolds.
Just picked up an almost mint early 70's Skeeter bass boat with a 65hp Merc.
swapped a guy some landscape work for it...reminds me of the days fishing with my grand dad.

yzfr1

Recruit

super1, did you get your title?

I was considering how tough this would be. I have someone that is trying to give me boat but I don't know if I want to go through with the hassle.

A5teroid

Recruit

Hello,
I'm sorry about re-resurrecting this old thread, but I am in a similar situation. I've found a great deal on an older 19' sailboat, but the owner has no title. He says he inherited the boat from his dad and his dad bought the boat from a friend who said that the boat didn't need a title. I'm trying to get the hull ID number to see if it was ever registered in TX and if the "owner of record" can be identified.

Is this even worth pursuing? Or it it just too difficult in Texas to replace a lost title?

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm going through the getting the title for my boat in Texas. But i have the titled owner cooperating and signing what i need.
He signed the lost title paperwork, the new title comes to him, he signs it and a form for the motor and boat. Then i can get it transferred to me.

Its a real pain, but the only way that is legal.

Raystownboater

Chief Petty Officer

FYI, start your own thread ASAP. The guys will be more than willing to help out but the Mods will be locking this thread very quickly!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hello,
I'm sorry about re-resurrecting this old thread, but I am in a similar situation.

Welcome to iboats,

No need to resurrect old threads, just start a new thread of your own. That's why there is a "Post New Thread" button at the top of each forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.