Question on installing cable in rotary steering helm.

HappyPappy

Cadet
I need to install a new steering cable. I now have a rotary steering helm and Plan on staying with that type. My question, is it a big problem putting the cable into the rotary steering helm? How is it done?

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Question on installing cable in rotary steering helm.

Well,...........

For the Few Dollars Difference between buying a Cable, or a Complete Helm,+ Cable,........

It's Not Worth the Effort to Swap just the Cable..........

HappyPappy

Cadet

I didn't realize that if you bought the kit with the helm that the cable came already installed in the helm. That's great, I thought you still had to install.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is nothing to changing a rotary cable, use the clip on the helm, push it into the release hole, give a little tug, turn the wheel and the cable comes out, just the reverse to install it. routing it thur the boat is the hardest part. get the number off the old cable and replace.

ray estep

Seaman

I just got done doing this on my boat. Installing the cable into the helm is the least of your worries. PM me if you have any questions. Its eazy enough but alot of problems come up.

Ozarks R&R

bob01081969

Cadet

Hey I have a 1988 Ranger 330 I have been having a hard time steering and it's a duel cable I had to cut the shafts at the outboard to remove them, and I have a new single cable I bought to use until I get my new hydraulic steering system. I had to quit tonight after removing the rods. I have two tubes on my V4 and asking to hook up the single cable I use the tube that runs though the motor or the front side tube. I am using the boat this week and thats why I am going to do this until my new teleflex steering system comes. Any thoughts and ideas. I was told by my outboard machanic that I only need one cable steering but I have read this is true for V4 motors up to 50 mph but my Boat and motor will run 60 mph on gps. Thanks Bob,:)