Can someone tell me how to start a boat on land?

SecretEscape

Recruit
I know it can be done. I just don't know what part to hook my garden hose up to.

I have an 88 Bayliner Ciera.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
d:)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can someone tell me how to start a boat on land?

what engine outboard, i/o. there is a water intake on the lower unit of the drive, slits, you put the muffs over the slits, and turn the water on. always turn the water on first. watch the prop they cut legs.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Hi Secret Escape, welcome to iboats!!

Most people use ear muffs, some people use a large tub (my prefered option).

Different shaped muffs are available for different drives. Some drives have a dedicated fitting just for flushing.

Lower the jockey wheel so that the outdrive can be lowered without hitting the pavement.

Connect the ear muffs, connect the hose, turn hose on. Ready to start.

Don't raise the outdrive while it's running and don't over rev - I suggest up to 1500rpm max.

As a safety precaution, I like to remove the prop first, it's also a good time to check for fishing line.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You need a set of "muffs" which is an engine flushing device. They have those available here or at your local boating store.

Depending on your outdrive there are differant shape ones. Alot of inboard/outboards use muffs with rectangular fittings...... some you can get away with the round rubber fittings. Here is one for sale so you get the idea.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...d=952312980&list_time=1159784962&view_id=4613

When you turn on the water from your hose it should have enough pressure to leak out from the muffs.