Mayfair bilge pump motors interchangeable?

wendigo

Cadet
Do the 750 and 500 gph Mayfair bilge pump motor inserts fit into the same bilge pump housing? What about the 1000 gph insert?

Seemed like an easy way to upgrade capacity, if so.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mayfair bilge pump motors interchangeable?

Anything is Possible,......... But I Doubt it..........

Just How would there be a Difference in the Capacity if they're the Same,..??..??......

wendigo

Cadet

I just noticed in comparing the 750 and 500 gph inserts side by side that they appear to be exactly the same size.

And in the cramped bilge area of my old boat, securing the pump base is the real headache part of the job. If I can just pop in a higher capacity insert and do a quick rewire, it would be worth my effort.

By the way, I'm talking about the newer line(I think) of Mayfair bilge pumps with detachable float switches.

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

I have the 500 gph in my boat. It was orginally hard wired to a toggle on the dash. I bought the mayfair float and attached it to the pump and wired it inline. I did that so I can just switch the bilge pump on and forget about it. I know that on my pump you can basically flip a little lever and the unit pulls out of the housing. So if you can find out if they are indeed interchangeable let me know as I may change mine out as well...couldn't hurt anyway. Right?

Wes

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not exactly sure which kind of Mayfair you have but this link shows mine, I had a 800 gph that seized and replaced it with a 1000 gph, the bases were the same, the pump was held in with a twist lock setup with 3 tabs, all I did was swap out the pump into the existing base, 2 minute job.

Mayfair Bilge Pump

chasecd

Cadet

I called Johnson yesterday (30 Sep 09) and the lady I spoke with said the 500, 750 and 1000 cartridges are all identical and interchangeable. Mayfair cartridges are made by Johnson. Therefore, the same housing will support the Mayfair or Johnson replacement cartridges.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

I would double check the discharge hose size as well. I would have thought the the 100gph discharge would be larger than the 500gph but if not, that just makes your job all the easier!