• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning Marine Carpet...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Marine Carpet...

Hey All,

What do you all use to clean your boat's carpet?

The dealer I bought my boat from told me NOT to use carpet cleaners, and said instead use Simple Green, and a scrubbing brush.

It seems to work pretty good, I'm just wondering if its ok to use Simple Green, or if I should be using something else?

Thanks,

-TheChad
    2006 Lowe Fish & Ski (FS175)
    -Mercury 115HP EFI 4-Stroke
    --Mounted 3rd Hole From The Top (Middle Hole)
    -Mercury Vengeance SS Prop (16 Pitch)
    -Lowrance LCX-26C HD

Re: Cleaning Marine Carpet...

when i inheirited my boat the carpet was toast. had a 1/16" of hard slim ontoit. used me some dawn dish washin liquid. straight out of the bottle ontoit. a bristle scrub brush and a hose. the whole carpet turned green. hosed'er out after a hard scrub. left me with a brown carpet that i had originaly. never did anything after that as it looked good......a note. dawn removes boat wax..... a rewax is in order after the dawn treatment.....perhaps yers aint that bad. the dawn removes grease too, in the bildge too as it's runnin out.......
    'Lime Time'
    1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
    Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

My carpet is just dirt/mud. The Simple green works good at getting it out. I've even removed blood with Simple green.

It was the first time I had ever heard of using Simple green to clean carpet, which is why I thought I'd ask here to see what others say..

-TheChad
      2006 Lowe Fish & Ski (FS175)
      -Mercury 115HP EFI 4-Stroke
      --Mounted 3rd Hole From The Top (Middle Hole)
      -Mercury Vengeance SS Prop (16 Pitch)
      -Lowrance LCX-26C HD

Comment

When I bought my new carpet, the sales guy told me that marine carpet was idoor/outdoor carpet with a rubber backing on it. I don't understand why carpet cleaner would be bad. if simple Green or Dawn works that goodI might give them a try. I'm in the process now of cleaning and preparing my boat for a ling winter's nap.
        "Many of the greatest sailors were pukers."--Thorfinn Skullsplitter

Comment

Over time, carpet gets "walked down" such that the nap is packed down. Before cleaning, I use a very stiff brush and work the nap back up by brushing from all directions. This stands up the nap and pops sand and dirt loose. I then vacuum it. With the bow high, pull the drain plug. Virtually any detergent will work. I use a liquid dish washing detergent from a local farm store. I wet the carpet, spread on the detergent and brush it in very thoroughly, again from all directions. I then hose out the boat. Park it in the sun to dry. Brush the nap again and the carpet will look great. I also use the same detergent to clean the carpeted floor mats in my vehicles.

Comment

Car wash wand works well for all but the worst stains...
            Rick

"Boating is Life...All the rest is just Details"

2007 Bentley 200 Cruise
            2007 Merc. 90 4 stroke

Comment

I just use car wash detergent. Get in with the hose, get all the carpet wet, scrubb the detergent in with a brush, suck as much as I can out with the shop vacuum. Repeat.

Comment

My beige rug gets slimy in the corners, and bloody every now and then. I have an old electric power washer that only generates about 900psi. I keep the wand about 2 feet from the carpet, and just clean it with that

When i'm done, the carpet looks great, and by keeping the wand 2 feet from the carpet, the power washer has not damaged it at all.
                Mike J
                2007 Angler CC
                90HP Mercury 2 stroke

Comment

Working...
                X