Chart Plotter

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
One of the chain stores has the Icom 360ML chart plotter on sale for $299.99. Does anyone have this chart plotter and if so what do you think.<br /><br />I currently have a Garmin E-map that meets all of my needs, but you know The one with the most toys, when he dies wins. Is this toy worth buying? <br /><br />One of my concerns is the redraw rate. A friend said this could be a distraction and troublesome if you are in questionable areas. All of my boating is done in lakes and rivers.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Chart Plotter

Don't even consider the Icom... I have the 360... It's Totaly Worthless... It gets the job done but just barely and it's very difficult to use... :( <br /><br />Stick with the Garmin or Lowrance... :)

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Check with the other boaters in your area. Here, C-Map NT is most popular....so that means Standard Horizen, Furuno, Raytheon, Navman, etc., followed by Garmin (primarily because Garmin has the lowest prices). <br />If you get a GPS with a chip that's useable on a variaty of brands, you'll be able upgrade when you need a new toy!

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Capt Mike,<br /><br />As you say if you do not want to hear the answer do not ask the question, And you and snapperbait both gave me the answer I did not want to hear. But I am sure glad I got the answer from you instead of my $300. <br /><br />I guess I will wait until first a better unit comes along in the price range that I want to spend, and second, until I need one.<br /><br />It has been a toss up between buying that, or the Navman 4200 Fishfinder with the fuel management module (I need that more) or the chart plotter. Either way it is a christmas present from my wife to me. (I shop and make sure I get what I want). But as with most men it is hard to decide what toy you want more!!!<br /><br />Thanks for the advice.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

OK, then get both! Navman makes a GPS (with C-Map chip as an extra cost) with an option for fuel-flow onto the chart. It comes in either B & W, or color. Consumers Marine Electronics seems to have good prices for both; you can buy the C-Map chip direct from them, or from any vendor.