Adding Ski Pylon to boat - Glastron fish/ski

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkhanso

Seaman
I posted this on the Glastron forum, but it doesn't get much traffic so....

I was wondering if anyone has added a ski pylon to any Glastron fish/ski boat (outboard) and their opinions.

I was checking them out - the Swivel-Eze seems to be a popular one. It says you need access under the pedestal base for mounting, which I do. Is the back deck on one of these boats strong enough to support the stress applied by one of these for kids (15 and under) for wakeboarding? I have a 1990 model Glastron 17' fish/ski boat, which has the 3/4 post required by the pylon.

Additionally, the support posts for the pylon seem to need to be secured to the top of the same decking on back? or the top of the transom? I guess I'm just wondering about the strength of the back of the boat and possible stress applied to the fiberglass or wood for the back deck/fish platform.

rkhanso

Seaman
Re: Adding Ski Pylon to boat - Glastron fish/ski

OK, anyone install a swivel-eze type pylon on any bass-type boat and not necessarily a Glastron?

Still the same questions about strength of the deck material and the stresses of pulling a skiier/wakeboarder

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't have an answer...but I am thinking of installing a ski pylon in my boat. I was leaning on mounting mine on the floor...not the the deck...it doesn't look as sturdy as I woudl like. I figure that if I mount it on the floor and have it up againt the inner wall of the splashwell then I would have even more support. Or...drill a hole through the deck...re-enforce the hole with 1/2 ply and glass/resin and mount the pylon to the floor..though the hole. Probably overkill.

If you are set on mounting it on the deck..I would re-enforce all the mounting spots at the least.

-JMW

tommays

Admiral

f095d6d7.jpg

All i can say is they get a LOT of yanking you REALLY need to have a strong floor and a spot you can through bolt the front leg

Screws will rip right out of the deck :( on the front leg

But are ok on the real legs because the get pushed down into the deck

Tommays

JustMrWill

This is sorta what I was thinking... (boy do I need to get a nice CAD program...paint just isn't doing it)

skipylon.jpg

The blue area is inside the boat wall of the splashwell..the pylon is behind that...going through the splashwell...the hole throught the splash well would be re-enforced with as big a piece of plywood I could fit...possibly all the way to the transom. I would also try to re-enfoce where the tow support braces attach. I think I would re-enforce the floor where it attaches.

Will this work?

-JMW

ZmOz

Captain

I have a nice pole in the back of my '72 Glastron...I love it. I didn't install it, but it's bolted to the floor in the back and then there are aluminum plates under the splashwell in the back. The plates are bent and extend about 6" down the transom.

Here's a pic:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/zmoz/1559DSCF0027-med.jpg

JustMrWill

Link didnt work...here is the image

1559DSCF0027-med.jpg

Is that permanent? I would hate to lose so much space when I was not skiing/tubing.

-JMW

ZmOz

Captain

No, it's not permanent. You just have to unbolt the two supports (thumb screws) and it twists out of the floor. I never remove it though, it doesn't really seem to take up any room. You can still sit and store stuff under it. I get the most enjoyment out of it standing up in the back holding onto the pole while someone else drives around really fast. 8) It also makes a PERFECT handle for climing into the boat.

79Merc140

Seaman Apprentice

Here is what I did. Might not work for your boat depending on how the hull is designed.

First I had to glass in a 4x4 to the bildge under the back deck as my boat was disigned for a V-4 engine and I was/am using an inline 6 and the pole wasn't long enough to get above the motor without doing this first.

102114.jpg

Then I had to cut a hole in the back deck and place the stainless steel fitting on it.

102115.JPG

And this is what is above the back deck just infront of the motor well.

102116.JPG

P.S. As you may notice, the motor well isn't big enough to allow me to tilt my Merc all the way up.

itwontletmein

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the one in my bass boat went in the seat hole then there were bars that went to the transom i pulled 300lb guys on tubes all the time with no problems

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Nitro Fish and ski just has a thick aluminum pole that screws into the back deck no other supports are needed.

sigbigdig

Recruit
I have a Glastron GS-160 with no factory installed Ski Pylon. There is a yellow warning sticker below where they would have cut through the top of the deck just forward of transom. I will look tonight and see if there is a female receiver piece bolted to the floor underneath the seat. I would be very interested in finding out more info on getting or fabricating an OEM-Like ski pylon.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nearly 10yr old topic sig

Closed

Please take note of the Tips at the top of any forum page, or the forum rules and guidelines found at the forum help link in my signature below.

After 90days w no activity, topics are considered inactive and should be left as an archive only, not to be posted to. Thanks

If you want to start a ski pylon or glastron topic about your boat and etc, please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.