Nav / Anchor Switch

newbassboat

Seaman
I have a 17 ft Alumacraft Bass Boat and on the dash is a toggle switch to flip between NAV / OFF / and ANCHOR . I know what NAV does it turns the lights on for the Dash and the Red / Green light at the Bow and the Pole light at the transom. What is the Anchor selection intended for, When I flip to that I can't see anything happen?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Nav / Anchor Switch

Flipping it to anchor should only leave the white light at the stern on. That way when approaching your boat from any angle other boaters should only see the white light indicating you are at anchor. If your switch doesn't do this then either someone has rewired it or you have a defective switch.

newbassboat

Seaman

Ok Thanks that is a big help. Last weekend I was out for the first time at night and I couldn't understand why all the lights on the boat should have to burn when I was anchored and fishing, but when I flipped it down to Anchor nothing happened. I can't understand why it only looks like a 5 year old did the wiring under the dash. I guess I have a new project to work on. Thanks again..

newbassboat

Seaman

Ok another Question should the light at the transom be on while I am navigating or just the light in the front of the boat and dash lights. Currently the light in the front and the light at the rear (transom) come on when I flip the switch to "NAVIGATE" If this is correct then I don't see how I can wire just the light in the rear to come on by itself when I flip the switch down to "Anchor",

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the stern light should be on with the bow light, it makes it easier for other boaters to tell what direction you are going in the dark. The way the switch works is either it's DPDT type switch or they have put a diode in the circuit to prevent the bow light from coming on when it's switched to anchor.

newbassboat

Seaman

Ok Thanks guys for your help. I do have the DPDT switch and it was just wired incorrectly. I wired like you guys said and presto it works. Thanks again!!d:)