• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 ft aluminum boat max hp

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 ft aluminum boat max hp

I have an aluminum boat with a 17" transon, 18" deep, 56" beam, 11'6" long. What would be the upper limit for hp in a boat this size?

Re: 12 ft aluminum boat max hp

I have a 12 ft. v-bottom and my tag on the hull says 7 1/2 h.p. max. Hope this helps.

Comment

I'd stay with 6-8 HP...the larger motors start to get a little heavy. You'ld be OK with a 4-5 also.

Comment

I have an 8hp short shaft for sale that would work good with that boat. You could keep that in mind.11

Comment

Ahoy, KDC.I agree. I never saw a 12' "tinny" rated for even 10hp.Good luck.
          sigpic

Comment

My dad has one. Rated for 15hp. When he stops fishing, I've laid claim to it as it is a nice, wide, heavy 12 footer that is much more stable than mine. Just a bit heavier so I might have to steal his boat loader as well.Mine's rated for 10 and I have a 9.9 Johnson on it. Usually just use the 30lb MinnKota though.
            1977 Starcraft 18' SS 1980 Evin 115

Comment

For Ryan T.How much for the 8 horse?email: mtowey@analogic.comLuna SeaBeverly, Mass

Comment

I sent you an email.11

Comment

The answers are right about keeping the horsepower down. I stuck a 25HP Evinrude on my 12' aluminum boat one time just for the heck of it and I don't think there was anything in the water but the propellor. Extremely squirrely handling and scary. Came back slowly and carefully.

Comment

Depends on boat manufacture. 12' Sea Nymph with 20 hp Suzuki...She'll scream but she's definitely not for everyone. I scared the bageezers out of a friend of mine in it. I have a good friend with a 12' John boat with a 130 hp Allison R/R. Got a really big prop that sits about 4 feet above the water.

Comment

There is a game warden here that has a 12’ war eagle with 25hp mercury. It handles well and rides good. I thought it would be overpowered but it was not.

Comment

I have a Sea Nymph 14R, max rated for a 25hp.I am not a "speed deamon" but would like to get up on a plane.(I am running a 4hp Yamaha).I am seriously lookig at a Tohatsu/Nissan but the 25hp is a three cylinder and is quite a lot of motor for a 14' aluminum. Would the 18hp move get the boat up?

Comment

I've got an old Merc 60 (6hp). It does alright on my 14ft jon boat. Mine is about 4ft wide and about 3ft wide at the bottom. It actually rides better with two people in the boat. The extra weight up front evens the weight out and the boats rides flatter and faster. With just me in the boat (140lb), the boat will do 15mph on a glass surface. Rough water slows it to 12mph. I feel that a 9.9 is what I really should have but the 6 does the job.

Comment

Big Al,If your gas line is not to short you should try puting the gas tank tord the bow. I do it with my 11' whaler with a 15hp merc and it will plane faster and get a little more top end. When there is only one person in the boat.11

Comment

Ryan, Well I have a one gallon tank that I converted into a outboard gas tank. I just drilled a hole into the cap and hot glued the nozzle in place. One gallon is not much weight. I keep a two gallon on reserve in the very front though. You did make me realize that I should move my trolling motor battery to the front on the boat. But I'll still need the terminal posts at the back for the trolling motor. I guess I could run some heavy gauge wire to the back and screw on some posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X