• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Twin outboards steering (Docking)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twin outboards steering (Docking)

Any input on twin outboard steering?I know how to pivot my boat with one in reverse and one in forward to pivot.But what about moving the boat a few feet to the left or right? When docking.Are there differetn positions to turn the motors to making docking easier?Any input would be great.Can anyone explain the mechanics of docking.Michael

Re: Twin outboards steering (Docking)

The main thing is to be SLOW untill you get it down.No brakes...just take your time and get used to it..
    sigpic

1981 ChrisCraft 210 Scorpion K,175 Johnson SeaHorse

Comment

Don't approach a dock any faster than you are willing to hit it. .....
      Of those who receive good advice, only the wise will profit from it.

If you need it....Get it
      If you want it....Wait
      If you have it....Flaunt it

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Reel Poor: Don't approach a dock any faster than you are willing to hit it. .....
        Very,.... Very Good Advice...................
        Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

remember no BRAKES, don't count on reverse as a brake. you never know when the engines is going to just up and stall when shifting. practicing at an empty dock during the week is the best way to learn how your boat handles.. you will get to where you can park it just like a car. you have to know how to manover between two boats.
          FLORIDA GATORS
          TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
          That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

unless you have a power cat, where the outboards are usually mounted far apart, i would treat a twin outboard boat exactly like a single. learn the pivot point and practice standard docking procedures..... approach at 45 degrees or more (too many people try to approach parallel to the dock, which is wrong). go slow. turn hard away from dock. as bow comes around, go neutral and drift in. then reverse steering and go to reverse for a few seconds. you should be there.trying to use twin outboards like a twin inboard scenario is a mistake in my opinion.
            2002 Wellcraft 290 Coastal
            Twin 2002 Yamaha F225s

Comment

FWIW I have a friend with a Grady 28 with twin OBs and he says he uses the motors more than steering for low speed manuevering . . .
              Keep the faith!!! We'll be back stronger than ever

Comment

Working...
              X