Had a Skeggard, now the skeg is gone.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi folks,<br /><br />Last year I backed onto a rock and knocked off the lower corner of the skeg. No big deal, but I put a Skeggard on it (had it shipped from the US and all).<br /><br />Today, I hit another rock. I was not going fast (about 4-5 knots) and didn't think it seemed very dramatic. However, when I returned I find that the whole skeg is gone. <br /><br />Actually, I think having had the Skeggard mounted made matters worse. At the front end the skeg has been torn off about where the screw hole for the Skeggard was, and at the rear there is about 1/2 inch remaining.<br /><br />The Black Max prop became a little rough around the edges. I have an Enertia on back-order anyway, so that's OK.<br /><br />I didn't notice any different handling on the way back and, if anything, the boat is just marginally faster than before.<br /><br />What do you think? Should I worry about this at all, should I pull the boat now and have a new skeg welded on, or should I have this done next winter when the boat is at the shop anyway for servicing? :confused:

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Had a Skeggard, now the skeg is gone.

The skeg is there to protect the prop and help a little with the steering. If you don't mind really wacking the prop next time out...I suppose you could wait.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the skeg guard did its job. Your prop is still churning it up.

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, I think the skeg did its job by protecting the prop. However, I have a feeling that more of the skeg would still be there if the Skeggard mounting holes hadn't been drilled.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Bite the bullet and have a new one welded on. It is worth it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

For the skeg to help you you have to hit the object with it. If the object is an inch either side, you miss it. So I say, so what on having a skeg.<br /><br />On steering, I agree that it is a stabilizing fin and probably reduces the effect of some of the prop thrust on the steering. Course if you have hyd or NFB steering you don't know about it anyway.<br /><br />What it does do for you is protect your prop when you drop your engine on the concrete floor. The skeg hits the concrete and keeps the blade tips off it.<br /><br />I only ran on one lake, take it back, 2 lakes with rocks and I didn't like it a bit. Very scary. Stumps I can handle as they are made of wood and absorb some impact. A rock is a rock and you never know when one will be 1' under the surface just where you can't see it.<br /><br />My 2c,<br /><br />Mark<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

For the skeg to help you you have to hit the object with it. If the object is an inch either side, you miss it. So I say, so what on having a skeg.<br /><br />On steering, I agree that it is a stabilizing fin and probably reduces the effect of some of the prop thrust on the steering. Course if you have hyd or NFB steering you don't know about it anyway.<br /><br />What it does do for you is protect your prop when you drop your engine on the concrete floor. The skeg hits the concrete and keeps the blade tips off it.<br /><br />I only ran on one lake, take it back, 2 lakes with rocks and I didn't like it a bit. Very scary. Stumps I can handle as they are made of wood and absorb some impact. A rock is a rock and you never know when one will be 1' under the surface just where you can't see it.<br /><br />My 2c,<br /><br />Mark<br /><br />Mark