neoprene pfds

mrrat

Cadet
Looking to buy a pfd and was wondering what the pros and cons of neoprene pfds over other pfds.

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: neoprene pfds

Post what type of boating activeties you do, how far offshore you go, what type of passengers you normally carry etc. So many choices in PFDs because of different needs.

mrrat

Cadet

Mostly going on a small lake where I can see shore from anywhere so probably a mile or less. Fishing is all I'll be doing with older 14 and up kids.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll take a first shot, but am ready to quickly defer to those more experienced on this board. For your use, sounds like:<br /><br />Pros: sleek & less bulky; most (especially kids) think it looks cooler (better)<br /><br />Cons: price, floatation properties (isn't there a type with better floatation properties than a wake/ ski pfd?) <br /><br />Variable: my impression is that neoprene is warmer than a good nylon pfd. That could be good or bad depending on the weather you're fishing in.<br /><br />Note: I'm not extremely experienced, and am curious about others impressions. I use pfd's mostly for playing (wakeboarding, tubing). The "in" thing on my lake for playing is neoprene, and that's the vest my nephews grab first. But I live on a warm lake in NC, and my impression is that my nylon vests are cooler (temp wise). <br /><br />When I go to choose one to wakeboard on a hot day, seems like I'm always trying to choose between looking 'high end' and a little less bulk (neoprene) vs. being cooler (temp-wise) with a good nylon ski vest.<br /><br />Again, just my impression to initiate the discussion, would be curious as to what those more experienced have to say...

Bondo

Staff member

The Best PFDs are 1s that are Worn,+ Not just stowed away........<br /><br />Buy Comfort,....... Everything else will naturally fall into place........

studlymandingo

Commander

Agreed Bondo, for the type of use mrrat describes, sounds like the neoprene may be a bit uncomfortable. My guess is it will be hot as #&!! after a little while in the sun. If you are in a calm lake, in view of the shore, a lightweight nylon vest will be sufficient. Also, the newer inflatable pfds are pretty good for comfort.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you want the "kids" to wear them all the time while fishing, suggest letting them pick what suits them best. as long as it USCG approved. give them a $ limit, and if the want the super duper with all the graphics, let them cut some grass, or make it a special present.

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Neoprene feels better next to the skin than nylon and it retains heat of course.

mrrat

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the input. Makes my decision easier. Appreciated.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I prefer neoprene for water sports because it seems that less water is brought into the boat. The nylon vests seem to hold a lot of water. If my boating activities did not involve getting into the water, I would prefer nylon vests.