Weird windshield wiper question?????

tgissel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone know the proper name for the clear spinning discs that large yachts and ocean going boats use? It should be about a 12" clear acrylic disc that has a small electric motor. I am thinking of making some for my boat after burning up the wiper motors for the second time. I think that the windshield 30" high is too much for the small motors and the large wiper blades.<br /><br />Thanks in advance, Thad :eek: :confused:

KingsPoint

Cadet
Re: Weird windshield wiper question?????

They are usually simply called window spinners. They work well for heavy rain and green water, but don't do so well in light rain or drizzle. Heated models can keep off snow and ice. In my experience, they are much noisier than regular wipers. <br /><br />Perhaps your old wiper motors were undersized for the arm/blade combination.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They are called "clearviews". I would imagine they could be difficult to make. They would need to be constructed in such a way as to be water proof and corrosion resistant. The ones I have experience with are large and heavy as they are made with thick glass and brass.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, my father in-law had exactly the same problem. He priced the spinning disk windows and quickly decided that he would be about 250 years old before he saw any financial pay back..... However he did do this, he replaces the wiper blades every year regardless and applies a polish to the windows after each outing. He’s just completed his 3rd year on the motors and they don't seem to work nearly as hard with the new blades and the polish on the screen. He’s out at least 3 times a week in all weather. Good luck.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same problems with motors burning out. Ther are several diffrent motor sizes. I moved up in motor size and have had no isses for 3 years now.