No drain plug in boat, just a scupper

meddo

Seaman
My '69 Glastron doesnt have a drain plug, only a ping pong ball type scupper. I read they should idealy be placed above the water line, but this is almost at the bottom of the transom. Is this normal at all? Can one of these scuppers be used in place of a plug? I dont really trust it, as it already filled with goop.<br /><br />Thanks!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: No drain plug in boat, just a scupper

Well I don't like the idea either, but the thing has survived all these years and Glastron Boats (Austin, TX.) built a ton of boats.....so there must be something to it.<br /><br />My 2c<br /><br />Mark

studlymandingo

Commander

Are you talking about a deck drain, or your bilge drain?

Bondo

Staff member

It Sounds like Somebody Added that.......<br /><br />You Should have a Plug at the Botton of the Transom............

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Bondo. Lose the scupper and get a drain plug in it...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

back in the late 60's early 70's tose things were the rage with outboard ski boats. the ball would fall back when running and drain the bilge, when stopped it would pulg the drain hole. they did a pretty good job keeping things dry.

studlymandingo

Commander

the ball would fall back when running and drain the bilge, when stopped it would pulg the drain hole. they did a pretty good job keeping things dry.<br />
That's kind of cool. I have an old boat I'm going to do a restoration on, there is a small leak in the underside, I'd like to try that out before I start the repair just to see how well it works. The leak is much smaller than what the bilge pump drains, so it might be a fun experiment. I wonder why they quit using this method, some sinkings perhaps?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You can always put in a floating bilge switch and an electric bilge pump.....probably $100 on the whole thing. When the water in the bilge floats the switch it turns on the bilge pump and it stays on till the switch quits floating....fully automatic. Great for boats that are moored at marina's and unattended too.<br /><br />No connection to the bottom outside of the boat so you don't have to worry about the thing going haywire and your boat filling with water, and you can use a normal plug in the transom with it.<br /><br />Mark

studlymandingo

Commander

It has an automatic bilge in it now. It's not my main rig, just one I got to tinker with after reading all of the posts in the restoration section. I just had to get something I could tear apart, then make better. I just wanted to try the scupper thing cause I thought the idea of the bilge emptying without electrical assistance was kind of cool. I was going to pull the outboard this weekend, but I think I might wait just to check out the ball valve trick.

tashasdaddy

i hope you can find one. we use them in the days before the bilge pumps and flost switches. i think they were called automatic bailers. the junk yards might have one. i think boston whaler introduced them on their self draining boats.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

With my luck I would get weeds or trash caught in there not letting it seal properly. I have scuppers on my boat, above the waterline. Most definitely a situation calling for an auto bilge pump if you have them below the waterline.....just in case.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Well, if you are on to gadgets, I once saw a rubber hootus that fit in the plug hole. The end of it was spring loaded shut and it stuck out behind the boat. Apparently when you had water in the boat the water pressure forcing against the spring closed end would force it open and let the water out.<br /><br />How'd it work? Don't know but haven't seen them since.<br /><br />Not for me however.<br /><br />Mark

tashasdaddy

hey. Studly, iboats, has them in the drain plugs section. tempo automatic drain plugs. $27.00