bottom paints, what's best? Fiberglass, outdrives, inflatables

ron7000

Banned
anybody have experience, recommendations, advice on bottom paints,<br /><br />I have a 2002 19' bayliner I think I may block up and bottom paint. It has black bottom paint on it already, previous owner had it done so I don't know what kind it is exactly. I've moored the boat the past 3 years from June-October, it's apparently good paint as I've had basically no barnacles ever. This last season my entire outdrive got loaded with them, basically happened in september.<br /><br />which brings me to outdrive paints, I'm going to be refinishing the whole outdrive. Did this 2 years ago for same reason, and only repainted it with black paint, no antifouling paint. This year I'll think I'll put on antifouling too. Is trilux 33 the standard? Any other good paints?<br /><br />how about inflatables? I have an avon 12' hard bottom. Should I just use petit inflatable paint on both the fiberglass bottom and the hypalon material? Or would I be better off putting this paint on just the hypalon and using a good fiberglass bottom paint (that I use on the bayliner) on the fiberglass hardbottom? I had the fiberglass bottom loaded with barnacles last year too, it also sits in water all season long.<br />thanks.

ron7000

Banned
Re: bottom paints, what's best? Fiberglass, outdrives, inflatables

also forget to mention/ask, I had bottom painted my 24' years ago, sometime around 1993-5. It had never been bottom painted, had bare white fiberglass bottom. So I was able to prep it real good, used primer, and applied West marine brand ablative paint which I thought worked excellent for the following 3-4 seasons.<br />So I was thinking of going with that again on the bayliner unless someone suggests otherwise. I like the cost of it vs the other name brands, but I only need 1 gallon and that'll give me 2-3 coat easy so price isn't too much a factor.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: bottom paints, what's best? Fiberglass, outdrives, inflatables

If you have had a paint last you 3-4 years and remain effective,you should not bother with this post.USE THE SAME STUFF !!