painting vinyl seats

coachgus

Cadet
I am hoping to paint my vinyl pontoon boat seats, they have unremovable stains and are fading. Does anyone have any advice?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: painting vinyl seats

Duplicolor and tempo both make vinyl paints.The prep is crucial when painting vinyl.Follow directions to a T and wear surgical gloves when handling the seats just before painting.Results will vary depending on how closely you follow the directions.Seats must be scrubbed clean before any prep and stains must be treated with bleach before scrubbing.

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used Rust-Oleum vinyl paint on my seats.<br /> I called the co. and asked how many coats should i use. they state "2". well i used "4" coats and followed the prep directions to the letter.6 seats took 22 cans. was it worth it? yes and no. the paint can't take much bending, it will crack, and I guess, last maybe 2 seasons, if you use the boat about once or 2 times a week for 4 months. the other thing is,Rust-Oleum only comes in white, brown and black.The side cushens on my boat are red and blue, for those I used Duplicolor, which the colors are really bright, and looked great!<br />If your seats are slightly cracked, and mean SLIGHTLY! I have used liquid vinyl from dupont,that brushes on. just let it cure for a few days. the vinyl repair will turn yellow out in the sun if you don't paint over it. Hope this helps some.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

This will be the 5th year of use on my Mako with the painted cushions and they are holding up great.Tempo paint.