Ped Seat Bases

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am putting a new floor into my boat, 1/2" plywood. I am going to install 4 of these bases: <br /><br />
37847.gif
<br /><br />I bought the seat bases and posts, the warning says not to exceed 5 mph with these seat bases, its the 3/4" pin system, should I worry or will they be ok and are just on their to cover them? <br /><br />What should I do? Thanks<br /><br />-John

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ped Seat Bases

I have never heard of a speed restriction based on seat bases. I would want a thicker floor than 1/2" though. I can see some 280 lb guy with a belly full of bas beer leaning back and - - - -

Johnshan1

1/2" floor is pretty common, what would you recommend?

Johnshan1

Anyone? Anyone ever use these 3/4" pin seats?

Bondo

Staff member

Those seats are for Fishing From........<br /><br />Not to Go Boating In..........<br /><br />I Think you're headed in the Wrong Direction.........

Johnshan1

So what do I need to reach my goal? Goal is to have removable seats, cant seem to find any like these 3/4" pin seats?

Johnshan1

Just found these they are brand new:<br /><br />
38411.gif
<br /><br />
37831.gif
<br /><br />
37849.gif
<br /><br />Price Total: $71 ouch....<br /><br />still looking for options....

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pull my seat's off my bass boat, put them in the cover part of floor,then i go at speed i don't need a seat flying off.

Johnshan1

The seats will serve as primary seats while underway. If I am alone I will have only 1 seat in the boat, if I am trolling with a buddy then 2 seats, taking grandma for a cruise, you get the idea :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Scuse me, my keyboard is malfunctioning....no parentheses and other things up there.....<br /><br />I know that boats that are equipped with a plush cabin...like Searay have pedestal upholstered wraparound arm chairs...very big and heavy....and they are mounted on a pretty large pedestal and that is what you sit in when underway. <br /><br />Also know that the deck may be 1/2 inch marine plywood wrapped in fiberglas, but where a seat mounts, they double or triple it up. <br /><br />I have shopped seats at Cabela's, like a Tempress Pro. Not what you are after; I was looking for a bass boat leaning seat, but they have lots of different types and pedestals.....or just go to www and look for boat seats, and/or boat seat pedestals.<br /><br />HTH.<br /><br />Mark

Bondo

Staff member

I've got a few Friends that use These,.........Really...........<br />
images
<br /><br />I like These Better,........ They have Built-in Beer Holders..........<br />
images
<br /><br /> :D :D :D

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

ROTFLOL @ Bondo<br /><br />That reminds me, saw an elderly couple use those one day. As they left the doc Pawpaw showered down on the throttle and both Paw and Maw tumbled to the back of the boat. Those chairs folded up like a beer can. The boat kept going as Pawpaw scrambled back to the helm. Once under control he returned to the doc and loaded her back on the trailer. I guess they enjoyed all they could stand.<br /><br />Really :rolleyes: :D :D

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yup I have bases just like the far left in your photo...in 1/2 inch plywood, the base is solid as a rock. They have the "not for use over trolling speed" warning, too. My impression was always that was because of the danger of sitting high on the deck at cruising speed. But the base and pedestal together can take a lot of punishment. Maybe if you're using a real tall pedestal so more leverage on it...I'm just guessing about that.<br /><br />How fast we talkin bout here?

Johnshan1

my boat will do 33 mph wide open, if its rough we cruise out at 15-20 mph. Its just a small 15' fishing boat with a ped height of 11". <br /><br />I replaced the floor and installed 1" thick poplar boards between the stringers where I am going to mount these seats so I should be good to go for mounting whatever I choose to do. <br /><br />I thank you for your input!

John_S

Rear Admiral

I think the warning comes from the seat being able to swivel. You want to be able to lock it down, when under way.

Johnshan1

Having said that does anyone else see a problem using these? I dont really have enough room in the boat to worry about swivel problems, and the posts are a mere 11" high. The neighbor has them in his boat and he claims that the warning is there so people dont use them on fishing platforms while underway or when tall posts are used you act as a lever. An 11" lever isnt much...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

At 11" of height, 1/2" should be plenty. The problem gets into hights and waves and heavy people and leaning back and pendilum effect and getting tossed overboard and liability and all.<br /><br />Again, the flared base seats (one piece flared floor mount and vertical post....up to where the seat mounts) are better stabilized for riding while underway.<br /><br />Go to the Ranger boat website and look at their pedestal version of the "fisherman 17'". The helm seat is one of these and I have ridden that sucker in 4-5' swells in that boat and 35 mph winds....got caught out. <br /><br />The Swivelease (pictured in a reply) is what's on my current boat and that's for fishing. Running is done from a regular 3 person seat down in the boat (bass).<br /><br />Mark

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

One other thing, it is against the law, I think, to be seated above the side of the boat while underway with power.<br />Am I right there, or is that just here in Kentucky?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Naw cause here in Texas you see the babes in bikini's lavishing the deck when the big guy comes by in his yacht and swamps you with his wake. grin<br /><br />Mark

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

The 3/4" pin is the smaller of the two sizes I know of for seat pedestals with the other one being approximately 2". Maybe that's the reason for the speed rating on that pedestal? Generally you see pedestal seats mounted on the larger size with the smaller size being used primarily to mount a pedestal seat to the top of a row boat seat. <br /><br />1/2" is sufficient thickness if you through bolt your bases down. If you're using wood screws they'll work loose or tear out completely sooner or later. I just re-floored my lund. It was equipped with 1/2" flooring from the factory and all of the bases were held in with wood screws but also backed by aluminum plate riveted to the ribs below the floor. I used galvanized carriage bolts (much cheaper and stronger than stainless steel screws) to mount the new bases before I secured the floor. I used the aluminum backer removed from the ribs as a backer attached to the underside of the plywood. I attached the backer to the bottom of the plywood with construction adhesive and bolted it all together, sandwiching the plywood flooring in the center. I used extra screws to secure the floor to the ribs near the seat bases for extra strength. Should hold up for a good long time. I'd do the same even if using 3/4" plywood, but the strength comes from being through-bolted with a backer plate.