Key West 1996 19 ft CC w/ Suzuki DT 140. Should I Buy?

Bateauxbob

Cadet
I am new to the forum here so please please excuse my ignorance.<br /><br />I am looking to buy a center console boat to take the kids fishing, tubing etc. I looked at a 1996 Key West 19' center Console with a 1996 Suzuki DT140. Boat looks pretty clean for its age. The engine looked ok. Don't really know the hours on the engine. The guy is asking 6K. Comes with a trailer.<br /><br />The price is about what I want to spend on a boat. However I have no idea of knowing if this is a fair price. My gut tells me it is, but I know very little about boats. So my question: Is this a good deal? I am hoping to get it for 5K, is that unrealistic?<br /><br />Also any questions I should be asking the seller?<br /><br />Any input would be greatly appreciated. I live in the CT/LI sound area so any ideas/suggestions would be great.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Key West 1996 19 ft CC w/ Suzuki DT 140. Should I Buy?

Test drive test drive test drive, and get some on your side that knows what to look for to go with you. The price sounds fine, but there's soome folks that don't like cc boats for stuff other than fishing and diving, but my opinion is that it is a good choice.

Bateauxbob

Cadet

Because it is winter here, and the boat is winterized the owner is not offering a test drive. He said he would start the engine.<br /><br />The seller said in his ad about the engine: <br />"When purchased 2 years ago I put in a new head gasket, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, popit valve and all lower seals. Runs and idles perfect. Not a drop of water in the lower unit. Compression is high and even across all 4."<br /><br />Most likely I would be using the boat for fishing with the kids and tubing. I do dive so I am looking forward to that.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Origionally posted by Bateauxbob <br /><br />Because it is winter here, and the boat is winterized the owner is not offering a test drive. He said he would start the engine.<br />
If he starts the engine there goes the winterization. <br /><br />If your serious about the boat, offer him some earnest money (on paper contract)for a test drive agreeing to buy the boat "IF" it proves to be everything "HE STATES IT IS". If there is a problem during the test drive he will have to refund your money and deal with the winterization. If it proves out to be ok, then its your problem to rewinterize anyway. As for your agreement you just bought the boat.<br /><br />What ever you do dont buy any boat without a test drive. I dont mean a quick trip out and back, I mean a real test drive. Put it thru the paces, run it hard, hit some waves, run it long enough to show up any problems. Pay special attention to how solid the boat feels when you hit a wave, if it feels loose it may have structural problems. Stop and restart the engne several times. Make sure everything on the boat works, guages, bildge pump, blowers, lights, ect. Dont just accept it. And dont buy while your overly impressed. Take your time and look it over well.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Bateauxbob:<br /> He said he would start the engine.<br /><br />The seller said in his ad about the engine: <br />"When purchased 2 years ago I put in a new head gasket, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat, popit valve and all lower seal
This + no sea trial = pass on this one.....far from my favorite engine!!!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Bob - I'm with Reel Poor on this one. Remember the goal of the seller is to get you to move money from your pocket to his. Treat what he "says" accordingly.