V berth air mattress

rickyp52

Seaman
Does anyone know if you can buy an air mattress that is made specifically to fit in a v berth? I use a regular rectangular one (double bed size)and it sure would be nice if I could find one that fits better. Thanks.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: V berth air mattress

Please post if you find one. We cut one of those "temporpedic" memory foam mattress covers to fit over our standard and rather thin cushions. An air mattress would be great. Could even put removable handles on it and a hitch point so it could do double duty as a towable toy.

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not sure this will work, but it might be worth a try. Get the biggest air mattress you can find. Lay it out flat in the v-berth, folding the front corners to fit the Vee. Roll the corners back to the folds. Take a piece of white PVC pipe big enough diameter to hold the rolled section and a few inches longer. Cut a grove through one side of the pipe wider than the flat mattress and smooth out the cut surfaces. Side the pipes over the rolls and press PVC end caps onto the ends.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Mischief Managed:<br /> We cut one of those "temporpedic" memory foam mattress covers to fit over our standard and rather thin cushions.
How did This work out,..???.......<br /><br />I'm thinking of getting some of this stuff in the 3" thickness,+ Totally replace My cabin cushions with it.............

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />
Originally posted by Mischief Managed:<br /> We cut one of those "temporpedic" memory foam mattress covers to fit over our standard and rather thin cushions.
How did This work out,..???.......<br /><br />I'm thinking of getting some of this stuff in the 3" thickness,+ Totally replace My cabin cushions with it.............
I think ours is 2" thick and it made a huge difference in comfort. We slept very well on it.<br /><br /> It's a pain to use though because it is extremely "grippy" so moving it around to adjust it after it's laid out is difficult. The grippiness keeps it and sheets in place nicely once it's positioned properly though.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks,......<br /><br />I'm thinking I'm going to use it to totally Replace the original foam,... Not as a Suppliment....<br /><br />I think that after it's encased in the upholstery fabric,.... The Clinginess Shouldn't be an Issue........<br /><br />Unless somebody can tell Me a reason Not To,........<br />I'll see,... Shortly......... ;)

magster65

Commander

Do the whole thig... my berth has a 2" foam padding over top of the cushions with home-made fitted sheets, blankets and duvet (cover). They were inexpensive and really easy to make (I sew). Most guests compliment on how good the berth looks and it's super comfortable. It changes that area from a dark, dirty little area into an appealing part of the boat. It makes a big difference. Go for it!

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Magster...any more details on how you did this? Can I hire you to make a set for me?

magster65

Commander

I was in the same boat as you are (haha) and needed some upholstery in my last boat. I decided it'd be best to learn how to sew since the estimates for what I needed were unaffordable. Details... my advice is to buy a good quality sewing machine from a sewing center and go from there. The 'sewing center' that I bought mine from gives every customer 3 free lessons with every purchase and I think this is quite common in specialty sewing stores. I told them what I was doing and they gave all the info. I needed. It's easy once you've been shown but to tell you step by step I'd be typing all day. :) <br />Most sewing centers have the service that you're looking for too if you decide to have someone else do it. They (the pro's) work incredibly fast and accurately not to mention they'll likely be the best estimate you find too. I've since made comforters, all types of bedding, napkins and I fix my and junior's clothes now instead of throwing them out. Once I get this little trade mastered I'm going to start making canvas and doing vinyl upholstery... of course that'll mean buying a better machine. Go for it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Aqua Holic

Recruit

Does anyone know if you can buy an air mattress that is made specifically to fit in a v berth? I use a regular rectangular one (double bed size)and it sure would be nice if I could find one that fits better. Thanks.

Try newworldmfg.com they make custom v berth air mattresses. I am working with them now for one for my boat. They will give you names and phone numbers of other customers so you can contact them.