Raytheon L265 fishfinder problem

pouli101

Cadet
The finder seems to work good while the boat is still, but when i start moving I get crazy readings, like 1100 feet in a river. It also does not seems to show the bottom but just a lot of interferance. It also seems to be reading a higher than normal speed, like 55 mph on my 17 foot Seahunt center console, my regular speedometer is not working to conpare it to. When I stop or slow way down the depth is correct again. I had this same problem with a Lowrance finder I had on this boat. Could it be electrical interferance or would the transducer be mounted wrong??

FNG

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Raytheon L265 fishfinder problem

could be the location of the transducer is too close to the prop. <br /><br />I have the L465 and I calibrated the speed by what my GPS reads. Out of the box it was off a bit.<br /><br />My L465 does a pretty goot job of keeping track of the bottom even up on plane running 40mph. Just don't expect to see any fish.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Either too close to the prop,which will cause bubbles. Or it needs a good cleaning, as far as speed the wheel could be dirty .<br />My 365 will act up on occasion,but the speed is <br />+/- 2MPH.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 465 does that when I hit something that kicks the transducer up. Make sure it's latched down tight.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, the instructions that come with the unit covers the "dos" and "don'ts" pretty well. Air bubbles getting under the transducer is the main problem most boats have.

pouli101

Cadet

Thanks for the help, the transducer is not dirty,just put it on, and it is latched down good. Since my last finder, Lowrance, did the same thing in the same location I guess I should have figured that the location was the problem. So any ideas on how far it should be from the prop, hate to have to drill two more sets of holes instead of one if i again put it in the wrong place.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Mine is located approx.18" from the stbd side and I have an 8' beam, Just make sure it is below the bottom of the hull, although the hull is angled the transducer shall be level. The holes you already have can be filled with marine-tex. No worry !!

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's mounted too high, it'll act like that. Check your instructions to make sure you got it right.