Polishing Windshield?

ChrisClark

Cadet
My windshield on my old 1971 runabout that I am restoring is all scratched up. I am thinking I can use a polishing compound of some sort. Anyone try this before?

Lebeauxe

Cadet
Re: Polishing Windshield?

Check out the yellow pages for a small airport near you. Call them and ask if they have scratch remover, cleaner and polish for sale. Small general avation aircraft have the same problem..<br /><br />good luck <br /><br />Bo

Lebeauxe

Cadet

oops sorry... <br /><br />forgot, when polishing it's best to rub and polish horizontaly, and not verticaly, any scratches or fine lines left by the polishing and cleaning will not catch the sun coming thru the windshield..<br /><br />Bo

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Meguiers Mirror Glaze Nr. 10 Clear Plastic Polish.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

vinhawk

Cadet

I scratch windows all the time and I use 200 grit sand paper with finesse-it by 3M. don't know if it works on plastic but works great on glass. also fine steelwool and finesse-it works on faint scratches.

crab bait

Captain

i've heard on this board " lemon pleage " fills in scratches.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If it is like a plastic watch crystal, you can sand scratches smooth with fine paper and the crystal turns almost white, then polish with toothpaste ,crystal looks like new. The same people that make Never Dull and Never Seize also make a product to clean and polish aircraft windshields.

RAC

Recruit

one thing to remember, if its crazed ( cracked from the sun) nothing will fix it..

Ritz

Cadet

Small scratches can be cleared up with future floor wax also.... Just my 2C W

SS Gilligan

Recruit

I used headlight lens restorer and had good results for some scratches and yellowing.

aspeck

Staff member

The RED bar that says, "Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread" is there for a reason. Please leave threads older than 90 days alone, unless you are the Original Poster (you started the thread). Older threads are for information and should be archived as such. Start your own thread with information if you want, but leave older threads where they are. Please read the RED bar at the bottom of the page, if there is one, and obey it. Thank-you.

NYBo

Admiral

This one may win the award for oldest thread resurrected!:facepalm: