• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preserving wood with fiberglass resin, stays tacky

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving wood with fiberglass resin, stays tacky

I am trying to preserve some new wood on my boat using fiberglass resin without using fiberglass cloth. My local boat supply shop says this should work. However, when I apply the resin it does not fully cure, it stays tacky even after a couple days of drying. I've tried adding extra hardener but it still stays sticky. The air temp. has been in the 80 degree F. Any suggestions, would painting with gel coat or another type of sealer work better?

Re: Preserving wood with fiberglass resin, stays tacky

SORRY TO SAY FISHHEAD but you were told wrong ... polyester resin is not a glue , it truly doesn't bond to wood & it staves off rot like a sive.. it does nothin' to perserve wood .. the " sticky " that you are experiancing is a wax comin' to the surface . it's okay , alittle wet sandin' with soapy water will take the sticky out of it..

Comment

Did you use Acetone first? If you did then from experience I can say that it will eventually harden. If mixed per directions it will take about a week to fully cure.

Comment

Howdy Fish Head,Actually, the problem you have is the absence of wax. Air inhibits polyester curing hence the tackey surface. Go to the grocery store and buy a chunk of Gulf sealing wax. Melt about 5 heaping tbls. of wax and mix it with 1/2 pt. of styrene monomer. Use about 2 tbls. of this concoction to 1/2 pt, resin. When the resin starts to cure, the wax is "squeezed" to the surface, sealing off the air and letting the resin cure.g'luck & c/6Hooty

Comment

Fish Head,Patience is in order here. Let it sit. It'll harden up.

Comment

It might be too late. The hardner has already evaportated out. Thats where the wax comes in at, keep the hardner from evorating. That is another problem with polyester resin. When resin is applyed thin it take a lot longer to cure then it gets cooler over night and give even more time for the hardner to evaporate. You cant add more hardner cause you cant get it mixed in right since its spread out. Too bad the boat yard didn't recomend epoxy. HArdner in epoxy is a solid just like the resin, nothin evaporates. If it get cooler the epoxy cureing will go dorment until it heats up again. once it stays at temp long enough it will compleatly cure.

Comment

if the sticky problem is because of NO WAX. then the salesperson sold him wrong twice..

Comment

That's affirmative crab bait.c/6Hooty

Comment

Working...
                X