• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdrive comparisons

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdrive comparisons

OK, I'm not trying to start a "which is better, merc or Volvo" discussion. What I'm really after is what are the main differnces, positive and neg, between the two? (ie: easier to maintain, service, less costly to service, etc.)I know about the quieter shifting of the volvo, but the new generation alpha is suppose to be just as quiet.

Re: Outdrive comparisons

One issue is if you go with a newly introduced product - (whatever brand it is) there aren't going to be as many low cost replacement parts on the market.

Comment

I recently posted a very similar question on the Mercruiser/Volvo forum. Maybe it'll help you, too. I'll choose Volvo for mine. http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...;f=24;t=013860

Comment

FWIW, Mercs are like SBCs - part are widely available (including aftermarkets) and everybody knows how to work on them. They have a big parts and dealer network and finally, plenty of info for DIY. If you're buying brand new, it shouldn't matter for a few years but as time passes, it becomes more important IMHO.

Comment

Working...
        X