• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdrive comparisons

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdrive comparisons

OK, I'm not trying to start a "which is better, merc or Volvo" discussion. What I'm really after is what are the main differnces, positive and neg, between the two? (ie: easier to maintain, service, less costly to service, etc.)I know about the quieter shifting of the volvo, but the new generation alpha is suppose to be just as quiet.

Re: Outdrive comparisons

One issue is if you go with a newly introduced product - (whatever brand it is) there aren't going to be as many low cost replacement parts on the market.

Comment

I recently posted a very similar question on the Mercruiser/Volvo forum. Maybe it'll help you, too. I'll choose Volvo for mine. http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...;f=24;t=013860

Comment

FWIW, Mercs are like SBCs - part are widely available (including aftermarkets) and everybody knows how to work on them. They have a big parts and dealer network and finally, plenty of info for DIY. If you're buying brand new, it shouldn't matter for a few years but as time passes, it becomes more important IMHO.

Comment

Working...
        X