Importing a boat from the USA into Canada??

Neonbee

Seaman
Does anyone know, or know of the Customs or importation rules for bringing a boat from the USA to Canada??<br />I found a boat in Michigan and want to bring it into Ontario but I'm not sure of the rules??<br /><br />I would be bringing it into Canada by land (trailer) not water.<br /><br />Any help/leads/links would be greatly appreciated!!<br /><br />Thanks in adavance!!

Neonbee

Seaman
Re: Importing a boat from the USA into Canada??

This i what I learned for anyone in the same boat (no pun intended) from Canada Customs.<br /><br />- You need a bill of sale for the boat and the trailer seperatly (if a package deal)<br /><br />- You also need titles for both<br /><br />- You pay a flat rate of $182 CAN for something to do with the trailer (can't remember)<br /><br />- You pay PST & GST on the boat cost<br /><br />- You pay PST only on the trailer<br /><br />- There is NO DUTY at all to be paid on either

Stratocaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you buy through a broker, he should do it all for you. All you have to do is meet him on the Canadian side of the border, pay him and take the boat. And it's the seller who pays the broker, not the buyer, so this would be free of charge for you.<br /><br />This is how I bought my last boat. I live in Vancouver BC and the broker found my boat in Olympia WA. Importing it was painless.

Neonbee

Seaman

In your case..thats great Mike. Sounds almost to easy.<br />But in my case, the seller did not have a broker and I wasn't about to ask him to absorb the expence.<br /><br />Different strokes for different folks I guess. :D

KRS

Banned

Wouldn't that be exporting!?!?!<br /><br />oops!!! wrong side of the border<br /><br /> :) :) :)

justin123

Recruit

I am trying to post a message on this forum...just logged in but not sure wher to go to post a message...can you help...thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Justin, you need to get to the main listing of all the forums, select the forum you want to post in and then click the New Post button. The main Boating Forums listing is reached by clicking the BOATING FORUMS blue button in the row of buttons under the iBoats.com logo and then click ENTER FORUMS.
Or you can just go here. You need to register before you can post.
http://forums.iboats.com/ Once you get to the main forums listing, right click and select Create Shortcut to create a shortcut on your desktop. You only need one click to get to forum after that.