Skeggard installation

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br />I broke a piece off my skeg and would like to use this product to cover it. I curious to know if there is any drilling involve in the installation process. I would appreciate if anyone can lead me to the complany website. i was told that no welding is needed in the installation. Thanks.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Skeggard installation

skegguard.com <br />SHould have to drill two tiny holes and thats it.<br />Ithink there is some epoxy involved too. <br />Really easy to do

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I didn't use any epoxy...<br /><br />have to drill two holes about 3/4" from top of skeg...they provide shear bolts that will break if you hit something so you don't damage outdrive.<br /><br />Looks nice and works great.<br /><br />-JustMrWill

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by JustMrWill:<br /> I didn't use any epoxy...<br /><br />have to drill two holes about 3/4" from top of skeg...they provide shear bolts that will break if you hit something so you don't damage outdrive.<br /><br />Looks nice and works great.<br /><br />-JustMrWill
Ditto here

Ralph 123

Captain

Don't use epoxy unless you have less than 3" of your skeg remaining. Here's why: Skeggards are designed with special shearing fasteners that will break when you strike very hard. That prevents lower end damage. That's what skegs are designed to do. The epoxy bond may be too strong and not break. If you have less than maybe 2" of your original skeg remaining epoxy may be your only option but you need to understand and accept the risk.<br /><br />
Before you start the installation, make sure that you have 2 to 3 inches of skeg remaining. <br /><br />Prepare the skeg of the lower unit by filing or sanding any rough or jagged edges that may exist. If your skeg is bent then you must straighten it before installation. Remove the hardware from the SKEGGARD. Install onto your new or damaged skeg. Tap in place with a mallet or block of wood. DO NOT FORCE!!!<br /><br />Using the predrilled holes on the SKEGGARD as guides, drill through your skeg using a 1/4" drill bit. <br /><br />The mounting bolts that are included with the SKEGGARD are a tamper proof type of hardware, Designed to Shear in the event of a severe impact. <br /><br />Install the hardware through the SKEGGARD only finger tight AT THIS TIME. The hardware must tighten against the sides of the SKEGGARD for proper installation. If this does not happen, you need to reorganize the hardware to achieve the correct length. Different lengths can be achieved by taking the hardware apart and mixing the extra studs and posts that were supplied with your kit.<br /><br />Remove the hardware, assuming that you only installed finger tight, apply the LOCTITE supplied. To do this, shake well before use. Make sure threads are clean. To open tube, snap tube neck below end cap. Apply LOCTITE to threaded areas, assemble hardware and tighten securely. You must wait 24 hours before use to allow LOCTITE to fully cure. Failure to do so may result in loss of product.<br /><br />The SKEGGARD is warranted against defects in workmanship. Manufacturer will repair or replace upon return of the defective unit.<br /><br /><br />Your installation is now complete. <br /><br />