life vest , what was I waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer
Finally did it, spent a few bucks and got one of those inflatable vests. We have had alot of 90+ days lately and I find myself wearing this one all the time now where I would of shed the older bulkier one. Feels like I have just a towel around my neck, very comfortable.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: life vest , what was I waiting for?

Gentleman,<br />I have a SOSuspenders auto inflator. There is no way I go in the boat without it. I would recommend you try it at a beach to see how it works. It is very different from a regular one. I did when I first got mine and my god did it work well.. I fish alone and early in the morning, so if something happened at least they can find the body. Also, it gives me peace of mind when I am on the river.<br /><br />lee

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have seen them inflate and they definitely give some buoyancy. They inflate quickly too. And of course they are CG approved, that makes me feel good about using something fairly new like this.

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

spent a few bucks? those things are two hundred dollars! looks cool though, that must be why all the water cops wear them, and the fact that our taxpayer dollars go to purchase the latest and greatest life vests.

So do they inflate automatically when they get wet? Otherwise I don't see the point in wearing one. And then I'd be worried about it inflating if I get sprayed.

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

spent a few bucks? those things are two hundred dollars! looks cool though, that must be why all the water cops wear them, and the fact that our taxpayer dollars go to purchase the latest and greatest life vests.

So do they inflate automatically when they get wet? Otherwise I don't see the point in wearing one. And then I'd be worried about it inflating if I get sprayed.

You can get inflatables for about $120 anywhere for the recreational ones. I got mine for $80 this time of year. My 12 year old hardly complains about it and once it is on he never says anything. That alone is worth $80:D not to mention the safety factor that he always has it on. When swimming we just use the normal PFDs.

They will not inflate unless submerged or you pull that rip cord, not from splash.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

So, just out of curiosity, how much is your life worth?

I can't believe you went all the way back to 2005 just to make an asinine remark, that only shows off your ignorance.

You probably don't use your kill switch either.

dwco5051

Commander

Spend 8 hrs out on the water in the middle of summer wearing a kevlar vest and duty gear without the luxuary of being able to take a dip now and then and you will understand why they wear them. Most departments' policy is that a PFD will be worn 100% of the time when on the water.

shrew

Lieutenant

So, just out of curiosity, how much is your life worth?

I can't believe you went all the way back to 2005 just to make an asinine remark, that only shows off your ignorance.

You probably don't use your kill switch either.

So was it the 'cost of the PFD' or the 'taxpayer dollars for LEO's' comment that led to this poor guy's head getting chopped off?

I don't use my kill switch.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

So was it the 'cost of the PFD' or the 'taxpayer dollars for LEO's' comment that led to this poor guy's head getting chopped off?

I don't use my kill switch.

Shrew, the guy's post had nothing to do with discussing the merits of PFD use, or of using one type over another. He dug up a 5 year old thread so he could get on a soapbox.

Oh, and you oughta use your kill switch... :)

shrew

Lieutenant

I would use my kill switch if I had one.

My only point is, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if their opinion is whacky. I read a lot of really whacky opinions on here and alot of bad information. If I'm wrong or out of line I respect when someone corrects me. You don't have to agree with it, and you don't even have to have respect for the person. But we should try and show a little respect for each other. Honestly, this message could have been delivered differently. Calling the guy asinine and ignorant is just a little over the top, isn't it?

I've said my peace. Flame me if you like. This thread is dead and going nowhere at this point. sorry for the hijack.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I would use my kill switch if I had one.

My only point is, everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if their opinion is whacky. I read a lot of really whacky opinions on here and alot of bad information. If I'm wrong or out of line I respect when someone corrects me. You don't have to agree with it, and you don't even have to have respect for the person. But we should try and show a little respect for each other. Honestly, this message could have been delivered differently. Calling the guy asinine and ignorant is just a little over the top, isn't it?

I've said my peace. Flame me if you like. This thread is dead and going nowhere at this point. sorry for the hijack.

You are right, and I whole heartedly agree with you opinion. I didn't recognize his remarks as opinions, only an attempt to start a negative, ill informed "discussion" that would lead to no where.

Which I guess is what has happened.

In the future I will try to be less candid in my remarks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

5 year old thread turned nasty. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.