Reading the buoy system

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm not new to boating but I still am getting confused by the Red and Green buoy's in some places. RRR Red to the Right Returning (to port from seaward). This weekend I was boating in the Captree area Suffolk County, New York and launched from the ramp at Captree and headed for "The Sore Thumb" at Oak Beach.<br />I have a GPS Chartplotter and my chartplotter shows the buoy colors contrary to the actual buoys in some cases.<br />My reasoning is that since Captree is inland of the Fire Island Inlet, that heading from Captree toward the inlet, the GREEN buoys should be on my Right side (I'm heading out to sea).<br />Will anyone explain where my logic is fouled?<br />Thank you,<br />Nick

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Reading the buoy system

not familar with the area, but it can get confusing sometimes when you're not sure which way is considered inland. when boating around a major island, the buoys can change at a moments notice (but usually at a bridge). you'll have reds to your right as you approach the bridge, and then reds to your left as you pass under the bridge.

Sublime

Cadet

Nick,.. Nav cans or buoys are relocated from time to time as decided by the Army corps engineers, due to changes in the channels. The rule you stated is coerrect RRR (red right return).Red Cans on your right on the return trip, on your left on your way out. Green should be on your right on the way out and left on the return trip. Your GPS is probably off due to the relocation of the cans and an old plot rout in your GPS. Seen many boaters head out without learning how the cans work. Big mistake! It's good that your asking.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank's for the explanations.<br /> Long Island is a major island and there is an other inlet, Jones Inlet, but that is about 10 miles west of this inlet (Fire Island Inlet), I would not have expected that (nor do I think it is the preferred route)to be relevent in this issue. But I have been wrong before.<br /> I am at a loss for where an authorative explanation can be found that can be understood by the average layman. This would help in future adventures. However, I can (and should) study a chart of the area that I anticipate visiting before going.<br />Thanks again,<br />Nick