Promariner Battery Bank Cable Extender

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer
Promariner Battery Bank Cable Extender

Hi guys. I currently have about 5 ft of cable, but need allot longer with the new configuration. I was looking at new ancor battery cables and they can be pricey, what does this product (found on iboats) do for me? It looks like a great deal but doesn't have a huge description. Do I just splice it to the old one?<br /><br /> Here it is <br /><br />Thanks in advance.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Promariner Battery Bank Cable Extender

Just spent the evening doing some rewiring on a freinds boat.had a situation where we had to run wires between 2 batteries on opposite side of the bilge. What I did was measure so I got as much as needed,and went to a local truck dealer and bought enough 3 guage wire (I have an acct,and get 40% off list) and some terminals, and shrink wrap tubbing. Would have got larger gauge wire , but batteries are only for 12v trolling motor. I,m not knocking the iboats item, but they are fairly easy to make, and you want to keep them as short as possible.<br /><br /><br /> Jim

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Cuz, thats all I need, I can do the wiring myself, just need to find the wire. When you say truck dealer, you mean BIG truck?

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ya, but you should also be able to get it at a local auto parts store.<br /><br /> JIm

ZmOz

Captain

I just bought a bunch of wire and cable from ebay seller "genuinedealz". Very cheap, and very good quality MARINE cable...which you won't find at a truck or auto parts store.

rwidman

Lieutenant

1. You need marine cable, not automotive or truck cable, there's a big difference. Better insulation, more strands, each strand tinned to retard corrosion.<br /><br />2. If you are extending the battery cables you will need to move to a larger size of cable. You can find wire size tables in some of the marine retailer catalogs. If you don't have the correct size of cables there will be excessive voltage drop and your electrical equipment (including the starter) may not work correctly. Low voltage can permanently damage some of this equipment.