Nut on top of the Hydraulic Steering Helm

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys, got my cylinder problem solved but have a quick question. The nut that goes on the wheel, which attaches to the helm, is a 5/8 nut. I bought one today (without the helm with me) and the thread was wrong. Does anyone know if I can get one anywhere locally, or do I need to buy it from a Seastar dealer? Just figured I would ask before I drive all over town to find one. Da*&&%M Tourists!! lol They call it tourist "season", so why can't I shoot them?<br /><br />Thanks as always,<br />scuda

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Nut on top of the Hydraulic Steering Helm

I believe that is either a 1/2"-20 thread, or a 5/8"-18 thread nut.. Any hardware store thats worth a hoot ought to have one..<br /><br /><br />
Da*&&%M Tourists!! lol They call it tourist "season", so why can't I shoot them?<br />
I say the exact same thing in the winter-time, Scuda... :D

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Snapper! I am pretty sure it is a 5/8, so I will go with option B, thanks again!<br /><br />For my own learning benefit, is there a way to tell that?

rottenray6402

Ensign

The sizes are in inches so the 5/8 -18 is 5/8s inch diameter and has 18 threads per inch. You can roughly measure that with a caliper or buy a cheap tap and die set and they normally have a thread pitch gauge included.

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ray!