rubbing compound and wax

jedpieper

Recruit
Hi - <br /><br />I recently purchased a 19 fiberglass runabout. The hull is somewhat oxidized. I was wondering if using an automotive rubbing compound to get the oxidation off would hurt the gelcoat? Or do I need a marine grade?<br /><br />Also, once the oxidation is off, what type of wax should I use to protect the gelcoat?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jed

D

DJ

Re: rubbing compound and wax

Jed,<br /><br />The auto stuff will work OK. BE CAREFUL with that buffing wheel. You don't want to "pinstripe" it.<br /><br />I prefer MaGuires wax.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

YES..As a matter of fact, don't use a wheel.<br />Get some rubbergloves,and a gallon of Greased Lightning. Best time to de-oxidize it is in the morning when the hull is still wet. Or after or durring a rain shower. This keeps the G/L cleaner from drying onto the hull,and allows it to werk more evenly.<br />Once the hull is dry and clean, get some Mothers Carnuba paste wax, or the entire Mothers 3-stage kit (which is much better). An alternative is Maquires premium auto wax. It is what the Vette guys like to use,as it works great on glass.<br />You will need to rub some,but do most of your rubbing durring the cleaning stage. Your gell is very thin. If you need to buff, chances are there isn't enough left of the jelcoat.<br />I've read here and on other sites of a product called "OFF and ON" that is supposed to be da bomb,but have no first-hand knowledge of it.

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the Maguires 51 Heavy oxidation remover works like liquid gold. When the waterspots and oxidation are not so bad, use Maguires 2 in 1 polisher/cleaner.