Deck Fill Fuel Ground

jarway

Seaman
Recently installed the following deck fuel<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...k fill&**********=261394073&*******=324483605 <br /><br />which has a grounding screw on it. Thought I saw some discussion about not grounding deck fills if it is SS with a chain retainer for the cap. Assume because of potential for creating a spark with the chain. This deck fill has a plastic cap retainer and a grounding screw on the fill neck. I assume that I ground to the battery grounding system? I am putting in a grounding buss in the Center Console that I could run it to.<br /><br />Those of us that are just getting into the details of boat restoration really appreciate the wealth of advice that comes from the discussion on the board. Thanks in advance for any help.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deck Fill Fuel Ground

The short answer is that if the fuel fill has a metal body regardless of what the cap or cap retainer is made of then the fuel fill must be grounded. If fuel fill has a plastic body regardless off what the cap or cap retainer is made of it does not need to be grounded. The change in the regulation was for plastic body fuel fills with a metal cap or retaining chain no longer should be grounded.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boat topic.

jarway

Seaman

Thanks W&J,<br />Understand now why the change in reg. Just to clear though, the ground does go to the battery ground loop?<br /><br />TX.

Bondo

Staff member

The Fill Ground goes to the Tank Ground......<br /><br />Then the Tank is Grounded to the Rest of the Boats Ground System...........<br /><br />The Whole Reason, is to control Static Electricity............

Omega-1

Seaman

Jarway,<br />A further clarification. The ground for the fuel tank and metal fill tube goes to a sea ground, which can be a ground plate to the outside of the hull or the exterior of your outboard engine. This puts the ground in contact with the sea or general ground for the boat. A battery ground is improper for this grounding. Another point, when filling the fuel tank, always keep the fuel fill nozzel in direct contact with the metal of the fill tube during the period of fueling. Additionally, the ground wire should be a solid wire, such as a #8 or a copper woven strap securely fastened to a ground plate or to the exterior of your O/B engine where there is no interruption for continuity of contact with the water. Have fun, be safe!

jarway

Seaman

Bondo and Omega-1,<br />There appears to be differences in your advice. The advice from Omega-1 appears to be the most reasonable since I didn't want to set up any kind of galvanic action if the deck fill ground touched any part of the hull. Will follow through with this grounding and fuel filling option unless someone advises otherwise. Since I have a plastic fuel tank, no need for ground there except running a ground wire for my gauge sender which does go to my groundng buss.<br /><br />Thanks again for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Since I have a plastic fuel tank, no need for ground there except running a ground wire for my gauge sender which does go to my groundng buss.<br />
Wrong,......... Even Plastic Tanks need to be Bonded to the ground of the boat,.......<br />Again,.... Static Electricity....<br /><br />Omega-1 is more eloquent in his wording,.....<br />But,... He,+ I Mean the Same Thing.........<br />The Bonding of the boat,+ the Grounding of it's assessiories are connected,..... Somewhere ........