Steering Alignment

ptrau

Cadet
Last night I noticed that in order to go in a straight line on the water I have to turn my wheel to the right approximately 1/4 turn (9 o'clock in the 12 o'clock position). I am new to boating but not mechanics and guess that there is a cable that needs to be adjusted. <br /><br />If so, is the adjustment made at the outdrive or below the wheel? If not, any thoughts.<br /><br />'95 Sunbird Corsair 180 I/O 4 cyl OMC Cobra 3.0L<br /><br />As always, thanks for the help.

Jilly - 5

Seaman
Re: Steering Alignment

At first blush, it sounds like your steering wheel was just installed improperly. Come into your berth "straight", allowing the wheel to lie where it is. Then un-bolt the wheel, lift it off its splined shaft, and reinstall it "straight". I assume "straight" to you meeans that the wheel's spokes are in some visually logical position (horizontal, or vertical, or what).<br /><br />The wheel on my truck was fixed at about 11 o'clock, due to a spline mis-alignment after steering box work. Drove me nuts at first, having dashboard gauges appearing that the truck was banking left, like an airplane, but I finally got it re-aligned.

Jilly - 5

Seaman

At first blush, it sounds like your steering wheel was just installed improperly. Come into your berth "straight", allowing the wheel to lie where it is. Then un-bolt the wheel, lift it off its splined shaft, and reinstall it "straight". I assume "straight" to you meeans that the wheel's spokes are in some visually logical position (horizontal, or vertical, or what).<br /><br />The wheel on my truck was fixed at about 11 o'clock, due to a spline mis-alignment after steering box work. Drove me nuts at first, having dashboard gauges appearing that the truck was banking left, like an airplane, but I finally got it re-aligned.

crackerjack

Seaman

I had the same problem on my VIP with unassisted rack & pinion steering. I looked at pulling the steering wheel off to adjust it, but that would have required a "puller" that I don't have. <br /> Instead I just loosened some u-bolts that hold the "rack" end of the steering cable to the splined part of the steering wheel shaft. I made sure the outdrive was centered, then centered the wheel and tightened up the u-bolts so the rack was back in contact with the splined steering shaft. It was real easy and only took maybe 10 minutes. Hope this helps.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

There is a difference between the wheel being out of alignment and the boat pulling to the right (or left). If it pulls you need to adjust the trim tab and not the wheel.