• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

Hi Everyone,I was thinking of buying a larger boat next year and need some advice about size.I have a 21 foot cuddy now and I go out 3-4 miles out in Long Island ,Ny I want to go out 10-20 miles next year in search of Sharks,Small Tuna,etc.. Question: What should be the smallest size boat for this type of trips?P.S In case of a storm, I want the right boat for the job.Thanks Guys,Lou

Re: Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

in my experiecne some days it doesn't matter what size boat you have, You NEVER have a big enough boat...Over here on the west coast there are a lot of people that go out in there 19fters... for tuna.. 30-40 miles. On a nice day you can.... just hope the weather doesn't turn... But, I did see a nice 36ft aluminum boat for around 77k..... very nice.

Comment

I have a 22'cc and go 40 miles south of Montauk. But only when the weather is good and I monitor the weather throughout the day.When weather is bad I do not go offshore. Know your, and your boats capabilities.If your caught in a storm that means you were not paying attention to the forcast as well as you should.

Comment

Hi, Stunod.Being safe offshore is not all boat size. It is mostly a matter of operator alertness and skill.I used to go way out in a 18' Boston Whaler Outrage, but I wouldn't recommend it in an 18 footer unless it is a classic (pre-'90) Whaler.A top quality boat designed for offshore use in the 22-27 range will do the job if you stay alert to the weather and stay home when you should.Good luck.
        sigpic

Comment

Being a Lake Erie walleye man, I can not stress the importance of monitoring the weather enough. I consistantly go out 10-15 miles chasing walleyes in a 19ft boat and I see alot smaller boats out there. Boat size has little to do with it--skill and commen sense do! PS. Erie has sunk many a big ship!

Comment

I agree, it is not necessarily the size of the boat (to a point) but the skill and alertness of the operator. Here on the MS Gulf Coast sudden thunderstorms come up very fast, so we must be alert. However, I do not hesitate to take my 21 foot CC out as far as 20 miles; just have to be ready to run for it. Have a NOAA weather radio with you and pay attention to the sky.

Comment

Working...
            X