• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

Hi Everyone,I was thinking of buying a larger boat next year and need some advice about size.I have a 21 foot cuddy now and I go out 3-4 miles out in Long Island ,Ny I want to go out 10-20 miles next year in search of Sharks,Small Tuna,etc.. Question: What should be the smallest size boat for this type of trips?P.S In case of a storm, I want the right boat for the job.Thanks Guys,Lou

Re: Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

in my experiecne some days it doesn't matter what size boat you have, You NEVER have a big enough boat...Over here on the west coast there are a lot of people that go out in there 19fters... for tuna.. 30-40 miles. On a nice day you can.... just hope the weather doesn't turn... But, I did see a nice 36ft aluminum boat for around 77k..... very nice.

Comment

I have a 22'cc and go 40 miles south of Montauk. But only when the weather is good and I monitor the weather throughout the day.When weather is bad I do not go offshore. Know your, and your boats capabilities.If your caught in a storm that means you were not paying attention to the forcast as well as you should.

Comment

Hi, Stunod.Being safe offshore is not all boat size. It is mostly a matter of operator alertness and skill.I used to go way out in a 18' Boston Whaler Outrage, but I wouldn't recommend it in an 18 footer unless it is a classic (pre-'90) Whaler.A top quality boat designed for offshore use in the 22-27 range will do the job if you stay alert to the weather and stay home when you should.Good luck.
        sigpic

Comment

Being a Lake Erie walleye man, I can not stress the importance of monitoring the weather enough. I consistantly go out 10-15 miles chasing walleyes in a 19ft boat and I see alot smaller boats out there. Boat size has little to do with it--skill and commen sense do! PS. Erie has sunk many a big ship!

Comment

I agree, it is not necessarily the size of the boat (to a point) but the skill and alertness of the operator. Here on the MS Gulf Coast sudden thunderstorms come up very fast, so we must be alert. However, I do not hesitate to take my 21 foot CC out as far as 20 miles; just have to be ready to run for it. Have a NOAA weather radio with you and pay attention to the sky.

Comment

Working...
            X