Plastic or Aluminum Fuel Tank

Seaarrow54

Recruit
In a turmoil, I need to replace my fuel tank. Have read several post on here but cannot seem to find a direct answer to the question of which is a better tank, plastic or aluminum tank. I have a pontoon boat with open tank storage with a 55 HP Yamaha. I use the pontoon year around in Oklahoma. Currently have a old steel tank that pressures the fuel out when not running. When I stop to fish I have to disconnect the fuel line. I tried loosening the cap but still seems to push fuel out.

Thanks in advance'
Steve

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes

fix your old tank, should not be building pressure

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Does your tank have a vent, either a screw in the cap or a vent hose. Don't see how the pressure is building if the cap is loosened.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
only thing that I could think of is tank is over-filled

Where is it pushing the fuel out? To answer your question. I prefer aluminum for durability. Plastic may be cheaper. The sun will take its toll an plastic.

Last edited:

Seaarrow54

Recruit
My thanks to everyone that responded.
As far as the tank having any type of vent, it does not. What I had begun doing was loosing the cap when I was running the engine. I also began disconnecting the fuel line from the tank when I finished with the boat. For the interim I purchased a new plastic tank with a vented cap. Hopefully this will fix the problem until I get a aluminum tank installed.

Again thanks for the help

82rude

Rear Admiral
Well ive used my plastic tank for 15? years.When is it suppose to fall apart?My preference is for plastic because I use 2 portable 12 gallon tanks for my 60 etec.Gives me lots of fishing or travelling time.Direct hot sunshine can play havoc with any tank unless their vented.I have a 6 gallon plastic jerry can that is now a 7 1/2 gallon can due to expansion.My tanks are always out of the sunlight as much as possible.

Last edited: