Beware of Marine Surveyors

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Last fall, I was considering buying a vintage Sea Ray, which was advertised in Stuart. I drove to Stuart from Pensacola to examine it along with two other boats in S Florida. I contacted a surveyor and requested that he examine boat for rot, especially in the stringers and stern. I signed contract and paid him. The surveyor phoned me and advised me that he could only find one soft spot on an aft hatch. After Sea Trial, I purchased boat and trailered it back to Pensacola. I latter discovered 2'x2' void spot between transom assemblies in the stern, which he should have identified. He also missed internal bow stringer and two minor rotten places, that I have since replaced. I have to pull at least one motor to access the rot that he missed with his equipment. There is no excuse for him missing the transom rot.

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
While I understand some of your frustration there is an issue pointing someone out personally on the net without the persons knowledge. Home inspectors as with marine inspectors need to be taken as a guess IMO. I have found none which can catch everything, and some which are unable to find water in the bilge when the boat is at the boat of the river

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A "Vintage" boat that the surveyor found a "soft spot". In other words, if it was a free boat it still cost too much. Can't blame the Surveyor. His data showed that the boat was not salable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Any soft spot is rot.... Should have been the red flag.

Some surveyors miss somethings, some doctors miss somethings....we are all people

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It was so obvious that you were able to find it ? Then why purchase it ?

The OP was buying the boat long distance. He traveled to do the 'look see' and decide if the boat was worth pursuing further. He hired the surveyor specifically to look for rot and confirm that overall condition was okay and there were no major concerns. Pretty much the sequence I've followed in buying my own boats. In each case, I depended on the surveyor to spot problems I either didn't feel confident, or didn't have the time, to find myself. It was after I got the boats home that I found the hundred little things that always need to be addressed. No problem there- I expect them.

The surveyor minimally should have found the transom rot. It was the reason he was hired. If I were the OP, I'd complain to him, and to whichever society he belongs to.

My .02

Ned L

Commander
I agree with the above comments,... However, he ?phoned you and advised you?? What does the written survey report say? I trust you received one, that is what you are paying for.

As mentioned, surveyors are human, however there should be a level of expectation with a good one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the above comments,... However, he ?phoned you and advised you?? What does the written survey report say? I trust you received one, that is what you are paying for.

Exactly. The written report is where the details are.
No miscommunication if it is in writing.

Was he even a licensed surveyor?

Long distance purchase is irrellavent.
Buyer was onsite in person, and did a sea trial.
Was the surveyor along on the sea trial?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Long distance purchase is irrellavent.
Buyer was onsite in person, and did a sea trial.
Was the surveyor along on the sea trial?

It isn't irrelevant. If the OP had been there during the survey (apparently he wasn't- the surveyor phoned him afterward) he might have seen that the surveyor wasn't doing his job. Why assume that the written report is any different from the verbal? Surveyor said flat out that he only found one instance of rot.

Don't know what you've experienced, but I've never had a surveyor who participated in the sea trial. You'd bring in a marine mechanic for that stage, if you felt you needed one.

Far as I'm concerned, if the surveyor missed transom rot, he was either lazy or incompetent.

My .02

Last edited:

mr 88

Commander
The two surveys I had done were performed on land and then on sea. Surveyor did not check engine for compression or oil analysis which is a separate thing altogether. On the sea trial he basically makes sure all gauges, instruments, seacocks ,bilge pumps and controls are working. Engine turns over smoothly and nothing obvious wrong with the driveline such as vibrations, oil leaks, overheating and odd engine noises. No water intrusion from hoses, rudders, driveshaft etc. Had a buddy that had a survey done before he made the 900 mile trip and he came up with a bunch of things the surveyor missed as well. Cost him a plane ride and he didn't buy the boat based on what he saw after it was given a clean bill of health by the surveyor. But he has had 3 other surveys that were done correctly. Best you can do is Google surveyors in the area you are looking and then go down there resume and how long they have been doing it along with any feedback you can dig up. I do agree with JoLin last sentence ",lazy or incompetent " Incompetent being the key word.

nigels

Seaman
I used to be in Real Estate and surveys on houses used to be a joke, no matter who the client chose. I have never trusted any surveyor to spend my money, either do it yourself or take a buddy or two with you who knows about stuff, friends will do better because it would ruin a friendship or be very embarrassing if they missed something. Mates have asked me to go with them to look at cars and boats and of course houses and at the end you get a better feel than having coughed up bib bucks to someone who is bored with his job. Just my tupence worth.

roffey

Commander
Marine surveyors are licenced, house surveyors are not or least not around where I'm from. They are apples and oranges. I knew a computer IT person who started a house inspection business and he had no past experience other than his father was a carpenter.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Marine surveyors are licenced, house surveyors are not or least not around where I'm from. They are apples and oranges. I knew a computer IT person who started a house inspection business and he had no past experience other than his father was a carpenter.

Roffey, they aren't licensed. If they were, the OP could direct his complaint to the (governmental) licensing agency. Surveyors are certified/accredited by one of the accreditation societies, like NAMS or SAMS. The OP can (and should) complain to the parent organization, but it's hard to predict if it'll go anywhere from there.

My .02

roffey

Commander
You are correct. I meant certified and yes, there would be a difference between licenced and certified. They are accountable for the survey. Not saying they will catch everything but one would think rot would be picked up and specifically looked for.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
The OP was buying the boat long distance. He traveled to do the 'look see' and decide if the boat was worth pursuing further. He hired the surveyor specifically to look for rot and confirm that overall condition was okay and there were no major concerns. Pretty much the sequence I've followed in buying my own boats. In each case, I depended on the surveyor to spot problems I either didn't feel confident, or didn't have the time, to find myself. It was after I got the boats home that I found the hundred little things that always need to be addressed. No problem there- I expect them.

The surveyor minimally should have found the transom rot. It was the reason he was hired. If I were the OP, I'd complain to him, and to whichever society he belongs to.

My .02

THANK YOU and EXACTLY. I paid him and put it in writing that I wanted him to specifically look for rot in transom and stringers. If it had been a million dollar boat, he would be in suit as I write this, but it wasn't. If you Google search marine surveyors in Sturt Florida, u should be able to find him and read my review. I was not kind, since he was incompetent or his equipment didn't find the rot. THX!

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There was a time I got into "home inspection" If I gave an honest assessment of a home you would get to be known as a "deal breaker" and would be black balled in the industry. I wouldn't be part of that.