Deck building on an aluminum blue fin

chuckek

Recruit
I am completely remodeling the inside of my boat. I have a 1984 blue fin. I am redoing the floor and adding a front and back caster deck and moving the live well. I am wondering, do I need to add Styrofoam under it, and if so what's the pound of Styrofoam per lb of square feet added. Also I was wanting to move the console and was unsure if the steering would still work, need to be adjusted, or if it is measured out for certain size linkage and needs to be new?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

flotation foam is generally 2#/cu-ft density. structural is 4# generally

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Moving the console usually means either longer or shorter steering cables and shift/throttle cables. Are you moving the console forward or aft and by how much?

chuckek

Recruit
I will be moving it back about 3 feet to make a little more room for the caster deck,To be able to have storage compartment room in the deck as well.

mr 88

Commander
Do not use pressure treated wood for anything making contact with the aluminum.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
3 feet is a lot of extra steering cable to twist around, you may need a shorter one. They work best if the run to the motor is straight with some slack at the motor end for the steering tiller swing.

The throttle and shift cables may take a large loop and still work. If the shift or throttle is stiff or notchy after reconnecting, new cables would be on my shopping list.

chuckek

Recruit
well my idea was to make the copy out of ply wood and form it in as fiberglass or aluminum, I would only use a couple pieces of lumber for the center support and around the bow under the decking itself to set on. Is there a better way to do it or would a thicker aluminum be best and just riveting it on?

I have to get new control box anyways since I got a different motor to put on. So I'll have to get new tittle cables and such as is, just wondered about steering, wasn't sure if could loop it up towards the front and then vmcime back again under the deck with like a conduit strap or some such thing?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
3' is a long way to move things. that will impact the balance of the boat, causing it to be stern heavy. adding a forward casting deck may balance that out.

remember, for every # of stuff you add to the boat, you have to subract from the boats capacity plate. so if you add 300# for a new casting deck, and your new console is 50# heavier, you need to subtract 350# worth of capacity from the capacity plate. same with the motor, if your new motor is significantly heavier, keep that in mind.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like a mod that is impractical. Keep looking and buy the boat you really want. With this you'll end up spending more than you planned, and end up with performance that you won't be happy with.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
An aluminum deck is both not stable enough to walk around on and expensive if I understand what you wrote. 5/8" marine plywood is what you are looking at and there is no need to glass it. I would be concerned with how much weight you are adding to that boat and where. What size boat are we talking and what is the max weight capacity. How much does the motor weigh. Floatation foam isn't going to help that boat float. I think some research is prudent before you start modifying this boat. There is a lot of knowledge here to help you. There are no stupid questions.

As suggested the best thing may be to find the boat that serves you needs rather than go to all the work and expense only to find she won't get up on plane because of weight and weight distribution change.

mr 88

Commander
I took a 1967 StarCraft 18' that had a small cabin and removed it. Stripped it completely and put some exterior plywood down for the deck. Then just put some Fiberglass resin on it. Put a small side console on it 2' from the splash well with no seat , stand and drive. Top of console bolted to gunwale and support bracket attached to floor. Treat that wood the same as floor. Casting deck should be about halfway to 3/4 of the distance from floor to top of gunwale to keep your center of gravity from being to top heavy. My boat is pretty much a flat bottom and I added two pedestal seats on the center line as the boat is used for waterfowl hunting as well as fishing. Lots of deck area to walk around and store decoys. I just threw the old dry Styrofoam and some noodles under the floorboards for flotation. Boat is stable as can be and have put 6 grown men it with gear to transport to blinds with no problem. Has a old 90 hp Tower of Power that is reliable as they come and moved that load along at 25-30 mph with no problem. Total investment for everything was under a grand.

chuckek

Recruit
thanks for all the input guys. Im gonna leave the console as is, and make the deck smaller. Just go from the front to the console and make the rod locker out of a thick plastic. Again thanks for the help,You guys rock.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Lots of ideas in the Starcraft section where all manner of mods have been done. I added bow and rear casting decks to my SS in my sig line.