paint for Trailered boat

cordova85

Recruit
[FONT=&quot]Hello, I'm in the process of restoring a 1964 fiberglass run about. I am currently replacing the core of the hull and is going very well. I have a question about what coatings to use for the sides and bottom of boat. When ready to prime/paint I will need to deal with a combo of cleaned and sanded 50 year old gelcoat along with some areas that I will have repaired with thicken poly resin. The sides and bottom will be white and add up to about 140 square feet of area. My original plan was to use a 2 part epoxy primer and finish it with Interlux VC performance bottom paint as I don't really need any antifouling paint. I have since reconsidered because I read that the VC performance does not have any UV resistance and will yellow over time. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am getting a headache reading through forums trying to figure out my best options so I thought I would just ask the question directly. Can you tell me my best option to paint the bottom and sides of my 17 foot runabout. The boat will always be trailered when not in use and will not be in the water for any longer than 6 hours at a time. Probably not more that about 50 hours total a year[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was thinking about using Totalboat barrier coat and Totalboat wet edge. Will this be ok or is there a better option? Thanks for your help!! Wally.[/FONT]

oldrem

Commander
May want to check out Mikes post (Woodonglass aka WOG) Paint Your Boat with Tractor Paint...Say What!!!
eek.gif

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you don't need an antifouling paint, then you do not need a 2 part epoxy paint, of any kind, as these are used to waterproof polyester gelcoat for boats kept in the water. Any marine paint is fine for waterproofing trailered boats

There are some excellent 1 part polyurethane paints that give great results. I would refer you to the restoration portion of this forum.

Roll and tip painting is nearly as good as a spray finish, and much easier for those without paint spray booths. I would recommend it. Tractor paint is kid's stuff, IMO.