Stern Sits Low

I made a mistake , and purchased a heavy built 16 ft aluminum river boat with a Honda BF130 engine running a jet drive. needless to say the boat is very fast , however the transom sits far to low in the water because the engine is so heavy. My fuel tank is 25 gallons and sits up front. I am going to have some custom built weld on pods made. I would like to hear from others that have been in a similar situation with a small boat and a big heavy motor.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Need pics. Sounds like you have too much load, between too much fuel and waaaaaay too big of an engine. (That engine is 500 pounds dry!) Not sure how you would weld anything on that would help without dramatically impacting the boat.

Sounds like your solution is fairly simple. Smaller engine. The merc 40hp jet is 260 pounds, but that might be underpowered depending on your boat design/weight. Another alternative would be a etec 90 and 320 pounds.

I was discussing the concept of Beavertail flotation pods with the company that built the boat. He states that for every square ft of added flotation in the pods I gain 62 pounds of buoyancy . If I can add at least 7 43cubic ft of additional buoyancy that is 434 pounds. My thinking is that while it does not make the motor any lighter , the end result would be as if I had a much lighter motor, plus a much safer boat as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
well, a square foot of displaced water is 62#, the pod itself is about 10#, so the net would be 53# of buoyancy. you have to subtract the mass of the pod from the cubic feet of area.

icwingman

Seaman
From what your saying about low in the rear. You cant get any backwash from slowing down or backing up. A small wave will sink you. Be careful

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I was discussing the concept of Beavertail flotation pods with the company that built the boat. He states that for every square ft of added flotation in the pods I gain 62 pounds of buoyancy . If I can add at least 7 43cubic ft of additional buoyancy that is 434 pounds. My thinking is that while it does not make the motor any lighter , the end result would be as if I had a much lighter motor, plus a much safer boat as well.

Those would be huge pods and they would have to be a foot under water to gain the buoyancy. I'm not a fan of pods but in your case they may help.

Thank you , I will try the pods this spring , I run a very fast river , so power is important. I need the power for the jet. With a jet you loose about 30% of your power. My boat is a heavy welded tunnel hull designed for jets. I used to have a larger boat with a prop , but props are a problem in rivers.

ahicks

Captain
You say "heavy built". I would have somebody that is familiar have a look at the transom. Not just for engine related stresses, but those pods are going to add even more forces in that area. Possibly, the pods could be engineered in a manner that might help that situation?

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Are you running the Fraser in BC ? And if so what section ?