Opinion: Remove swim platform ladder that I 5200 down

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to upgrade my ladder but the issue is I used 5200 in the bolt holed and under the mounting pads. 5200 on its own without hard compression can be removed without damage but I cranked down on the bolts with starboard and fender washers under the platform and I'm afraid of really hurting the swim deck. Dad said it's a 50/50 but maybe someone here has done something like this? I do not want to delam the deck and have to repair it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... So remove the ladder, leavin' the starboard, 'n washers in-place,....

Got any pictures,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
west marine sells Anti-Bond 2015 which softens 5200

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I can't get to where the 5200 it. The starboard is on the other side and will be left there. I'm worried about the "arms" ripping up the fiberglass since there's very well set 5200 between them and the deck.

Attachments

• photo281516.jpg
    photo281516.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Take the bolts out and work some heavy fishing line between the deck and bracket. Then saw away to break the bond.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
^---- that's not bad. I'll give it a try when I can get someone to help with the nuts on the back side.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
bicycle brake cable works good too, so does floss

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Giving up. Couldn't get anything under the mounting pads at all. Can't budge it and if I put anymore pressure on it trying to pull it off the swim platform it would rip it to ****. I'll figure out a way to modify what I have.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't give up, grab a beer (or 2) and read this BoatUS article with more suggestions - http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014/...t-fittings.asp

5200 doesn't harden, it remains pliable and stretchy. From the article - A jack and 2X4 from below to tension the goop and some heat or de-bonding agent may do the trick. After a while the bracket should start to lift, then the sawing thing should work.

Maybe not today or tomorrow, it will come off in the end.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
when I use the anti-bond. I spray....wait 24 hours, spray again...wait 24 hours, then use a plastic putty knife

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Acetylene torch? That 3M 5200 stuff works well, sometimes too well. 4200 this time once you get it off. Don't quit on it.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I polished out the ladder and it will be there this year and probably next or I'll have my buddy weld up another step. He's damn good and makes T-Tops. I moved on lol

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Sounds like you only need a longer ladder with more steps. Can you just buy a longer ladder, unbolt the existing one where it folds at the swim platform and attach the longer one? That will eliminate having to unbolt it from the swim platform.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you only need a longer ladder with more steps. Can you just buy a longer ladder, unbolt the existing one where it folds at the swim platform and attach the longer one? That will eliminate having to unbolt it from the swim platform.

That's a really good thought. I'll try to track down the same width ladder. Thanks man! My mother has MS and fibromyalgia so anything to make it easier

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
5200 is for permanent bond...3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 is a one-component, high-strength, moisture-curing, gap-filling polyurethane for permanent bonding of wood, gelcoat and fiberglass. It cures to form a firm, rubbery, waterproof seal on joints and boat hardware, above and below the waterline. This product has been trusted throughout the marine industry for over 50 years.