Advice please -Buying a new boat

GPatron

Recruit
I lost the 50? sailboat we brought up from the Caribbean in Hurricane Irma and am planning, because the aquatic environment here in Miami is so different, to replace it with a power boat . Though we have put thousands of sailing miles under our keel, this would be our first Power Boat so I am hoping to receive some sage advice from this forum.

I think that a Downeast style 33-38ft express cruiser would be appropriate for these waters (Bahamas to Key West) and our lifestyle. With a budget that limits us to $150K it seems that we will have to choose our boat from those offered by Legacy, Sabreline or Mainship if we want a vessel that is less than 20 years old.

While I?d appreciate receiving any suggestions from readers my specific question is:

The Mainship Pilot 34 seems to provide a lot of boat for the money but would I be buying a boat that will needs continuous attention & repair?

Thanks,

Glenn

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for your loss hope she was insured enough.

Seem to be plenty of boats in your price range and desires. Id get ginger and Maryanne and take several of them on a three hour tour. Not that I know much about sailing but I know my buddies with larger sail boats would have a hard time converting to fuel powered boats especially the ones who have the time and money to go places far away. So my point here beyond inspections and value is make sure your really ready to make the switch before you jump.

The fact that there are quite a few boats in your size and dollar amount also means you may find it harder to sell for what you paid if you decide you are not happy with it. I looked at a lot of boats just under the size you want before I bought my latest boat. But I need to be able to trailer my boat a lot. What I paid for my new boat would have bought a lot of boat used and there we?re plenty to choose from. But nothing right for my needs that I could trailer cross country.

Good luck in your quest

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A sail boater going too the DARK SIDE ?
​Age is a factor , Older folks go from sail too Trawler generally around 70
​If you love the adventure ,and long distance cruising a sail offers, , you never will be happy with a power vessel
​2000 dollar fill ups ? gets old ,
I sailed many times. Wife & I could not agree on anything . I came across a 31 ft power cruiser , with twin gas engines . I settled for many
​reasons knowing the pit falls. I had too purchase new engines, and boat is up for sale , and next boat ??? challenge .

​Your a boater, you know , work is non stop. BUT there is fun work and work that must be done
​Power boat with twin engines require work, maintenance all the time .
​I was speaking with a guy selling a 1980 36 ft Trawler . He lived on the boat few years . 6 months of cruising south fl waters he claims he used around 1200 dollars in fuel . Rather then loose the boat too Irma he motored north Tampa and found safe harbor .
​He has a Leman diesel engine that runs & runs sips fuel at the same time plenty of room aboard

​I have a number of friends with sail vessels , around 40 ft . On their boats all the time , fuel is least of their issues . I find with power repairs & fuel are most of my issues . / But that's me

​Good luck with your search

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Whether it is a car, truck, boat, airplane, your home, or that matter, your body, if you ignore the little signs that something isn't right, ignoring that little signal will ultimately cost you more as that little problem becomes a big one. Many boat/power plant problems happen because people just ignore stuff or don't take the time to learn what is normal and what isn't. Certainly stuff can break without warning but that's just "fate" at work provided all things related to that failure were otherwise normal. If you are mechanically and electrically challenged, that can be problematic for any boater. All the more reason to either learn these systems or you are forced to put your trust in a local service facility to make sure your vessel is as reliable and safe as it can be. The nice thing about "choice" is that if you don't like power boating you can always switch back to sailing. Making careful purchase and sale decisions shouldn't be a killer on the budget. I've owned lots of used and new boats and none of them fell into the "money pit" category. I consider "careful" boat ownership great recreation all things considered. Much better for example than trying to unload a Time Share.